• Register Today It's free!

1999 ford ranger running hot

glasguydj

Reaction score
City, State
Salisbury, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford ranger 3.0 v6
hi everyone, need some help. i have changed my entire a/c cooling system, flushed coolant system twice, changed clutch fan, changed radiator and thermostat. When the truck has been running a while and i stop at a stop light at idle the engine will start to run HOT. i dont mean just the guage goes up a little. i mean the overflow tank starts bubbling and filling up. Only when i put the truck in nuetral and rev the engine at a even hi rev the temp guage comes down very quickly and as long as i am driving the guage stays at half way mark. whats funniy is some times i can go all day and dont have one problem. the next day everytine i stop at a light with in seconds the guage goes up really quickly to hot and i can hear the overflow bubbling from inside ter truck, and i throw it in nuetral and rev the engine and the temp drops really quick, i take of and can ride 100miles at it runs fine. stop at stoplight and back up to hot. Any body have a clue what to do or try next??

ford ranger over heating

Ok everyone, if anyone has a truck thats over heating when at idle only and when the truck is moving it cools down. Its the WATER PUMP!!!! Just because the water pump isnt making a noise or leaking that dont mean its not bad. I changed everything ie radiator, thermostat, flushed the system four times. all the machanics couldnt tell me anything. Soooo i just went and purchased a waterpump and when i took my old one off the fins on the water pump that actually push the water thru the system were GONE!!! it looked like a saw blade. the water pump never made any noises and never leaked. The truck only over heated when i was sitting at a traffic light or in a parking lot with the motor at an idle. The water pump wasnt pumping any water , then when i started to move the temp would come right down to normal. I hope this helps someone out that is having this problem. This cuased me problems for six months and a few hundred dollars in extra parts that i really didnt need. it was making me mental! but now its fixed !!!

...Thanks for posting your findings as I'm sure it will help others..:biggthump

+1

I've seen quite a few 3.0 owners on the boards that had overheating problems and it turned out to be worn vanes on their water pumps.

Back