• Register Today It's free!

1999 ford wires

toughguy

Reaction score
City, State
South Florida.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2ford explorers 1999 2000
going to tune up this 5.0 and I have replaced plugs, air filter, pcv valve, fuel filter, I noticed spark plug wires with the writing on them... 1999 and the number of the cylinder on them. are these old wires? also what's the best Motor craft plugs in install in the 5.0's ?

Yep, these wires sound like the old WR-5904. Most likely original, and well overdue for replacement. Unfortunately, they don't make the Explorer-specific set anymore, and the replacement, WR-6034 fits several vehicles of similar vintage. I just installed those, and they seem to be much better quality, with silicone insulation. On the flip side, they come as a loose set, and you have to transfer all the separators - assuming that those can be salvaged. No numbers on them, so it's a bit of a matching game. I found #7 and #8 to be too long by 3-4 inches. Also, the double locking tab on the coil end seems to be a mixed blessing, and very hard to latch properly.

I don't know about best plugs, but they should be double-platinum, whatever the Motorcraft part number assigned to those. I believe that Autolite has an equivalent. Get ready to receive a bunch of opinions on this subject, as for some reason, plug choice seems to be a highly emotional topic with some members here.

I noticed spark plug wires with the writing on them... 1999 and the number of the cylinder on them. are these old wires? also what's the best Motor craft plugs in install in the 5.0's ?

Yep, these wires sound like the old WR-5904. Most likely original, and well overdue for replacement. Unfortunately, they don't make the Explorer-specific set anymore, and the replacement, WR-6034 fits several vehicles of similar vintage. I just installed those, and they seem to be much better quality, with silicone insulation. On the flip side, they come as a loose set, and you have to transfer all the separators - assuming that those can be salvaged. No numbers on them, so it's a bit of a matching game. I found #7 and #8 to be too long by 3-4 inches. Also, the double locking tab on the coil end seems to be a mixed blessing, and very hard to latch properly.

I don't know about best plugs, but they should be double-platinum, whatever the Motorcraft part number assigned to those. I believe that Autolite has an equivalent. Get ready to receive a bunch of opinions on this subject, as for some reason, plug choice seems to be a highly emotional topic with some members here.

thank you.

Back