• Register Today It's free!

1999 Limited issue

Zachary R Leckey

Reaction score
City, State
Valley Center, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
Just got this truck from my brother in law, had some rat issues where they chewed up some fuel injectors and another plug. We got them all fixed up, and my explorer was running fine until I got back to Arizona. Now it likes to randomly stall out on me. I'll be driving down the highway and it will randomly stop allowing me to use my accelerator to keep my current speed. Rpms and my speedometer stays the same, slowly slowing down cause of no acceleration, but after a few seconds it will kick back on and it'll work again. I'm horrible with vehicles, so I have absolutely no idea what to look for. I've heard it could be my throttle body (which was locked up cause of residue, got it all cleaned up tho), a fuel filter issue, and maybe even my chassis. I have absolutely no idea honestly. Was hoping someone here has had this issue or has any idea what it could be. Don't have the funds currently to have it checked out by a mechanic, and still make it to work until my next paycheck. I'm in a horrible position right now.
Please and thank you for the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a decent chance of being the IAC, could be fuel pump though normally they give signs like lacking power or hard cold or warm starts, I'd start with the IAC, do you have a 4.0 or 5.0? The 4.0, it's located on top of the intake in the center, held in by two bolts, can be cleaned or replaced, I personally replace them.

5.0 v8. Do you knowuch about this model?
Sounds like a decent chance of being the IAC, could be fuel pump though normally they give signs like lacking power or hard cold or warm starts, I'd start with the IAC, do you have a 4.0 or 5.0? The 4.0, it's located on top of the intake in the center, held in by two bolts, can be cleaned or replaced, I personally replace them.[/QUOTE

*Edit* Read next post

I have had two 5.0s, absolutely love them, they flat out perform and take a real beating, I have one with 257K miles on it, I'd clean the IAC on it or replace it, it's located right at the throttle body if memory serves on a 5.0, two bolts and an electrical connector, and if it sat a while, I've found they get stubborn after sitting.

Actually, I stand corrected, I've misread your post, your issue sounds like fuel pump if you're losing power on the highway and randomly picking back up a short time later, have you any idea if the pump has ever been serviced.

Actually, I stand corrected, I've misread your post, your issue sounds like fuel pump if you're losing power on the highway and randomly picking back up a short time later, have you any idea if the pump has ever been serviced.
No I highly doubt it has been serviced. Would you make that the first priority verses the IAC?

I'd do the fuel filter before the pump since they do occasionally clog, if you've serviced the filter however, I'd go ahead with the pump.

Back