1999 Limited Upgrades/ general direction of build | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Limited Upgrades/ general direction of build

hbould

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Limited
So after digging through the site a few days id figure id ask for some direction here just because yall have some more experience. SO I just bought an amazing limited and its near perfect stock condtion. Trying to turn this into a reliable overlanding vehicle that will run for another 100xxx miles (it has 130xxx right now). So im trying to figure out what lift and tires will put me where i want.

It sags a little so im thinking a new leaf kit w/shackles and body lift. Im thinking about 33s but ive seen people talk about regearing at that size. Im trying to go the biggest tire without seriously effecting power at highway or low.

im trying to end up around 12in of clearance as thats what i had in my last vehicle and what my needs require.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So after digging through the site a few days id figure id ask for some direction here just because yall have some more experience. SO I just bought an amazing limited and its near perfect stock condtion. Trying to turn this into a reliable overlanding vehicle that will run for another 100xxx miles (it has 130xxx right now). So im trying to figure out what lift and tires will put me where i want.

It sags a little so im thinking a new leaf kit w/shackles and body lift. Im thinking about 33s but ive seen people talk about regearing at that size. Im trying to go the biggest tire without seriously effecting power at highway or low.

im trying to end up around 12in of clearance as thats what i had in my last vehicle and what my needs require.
it depends, many regear since you lose a good deal of power. also it helps the trans last longer. put a bigger cooler on it and maybe a shift kit, depends. those help the trans last a good deal long

Could change the diff gears

I to have a 99

What are your current gears? I’d want no less than 4.10s, 4.56 with 33s would be better.

What motor do you have?

it depends, many regear since you lose a good deal of power. also it helps the trans last longer. put a bigger cooler on it and maybe a shift kit, depends. those help the trans last a good deal long
AH - thank you. Handnt even thought about those yet. I will def look into bigger trans cooler and shift kit- any recs?

What are your current gears? I’d want no less than 4.10s, 4.56 with 33s would be better.
im d2 axle which i believe is 410 with limited slip. It looks like regear id look at 1000+ so im not sure it would be worth it unless i wanted to jump up to like 33/35s but i think tt shackles a body lift w 31x10.5 is gonna be my best value

31s and 4.10s would be great. You wouldn’t need the body lift to clear them, but it’d make it higher, and you could squeeze the 32s under it at some point.

AH - thank you. Handnt even thought about those yet. I will def look into bigger trans cooler and shift kit- any recs?
b&m and the biggest cooler you can get from them. hayden is good too. shift kit superior transgo and sonar all good

Back