1999 motor swap question W/Picture (99 to 00 4.0 SOHC) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 motor swap question W/Picture (99 to 00 4.0 SOHC)

shooter1697

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit ,Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 eddie
IMAG0576_zpse11aac93.jpg
Hello all, I swapped the motor...jump or bypass this?? Thanks for all the help

Here is a picture of the wires. I looked in the wire diagram to try to find the wire color but not having any luck. Maybe if i knew what the part was. Thanks for your help.

th_IMAG0575_zps1be68416.jpg

fuel injectors

Unless the replacement engine was sold new in California the injectors should be the same for the 1999 and 2000 SOHC V6.

There is no oil pressure in the oil pan. Some Explorers had a low oil level sensor which is probably what is in the first photo. The PCM in your 1999 is expecting an input from the oil level sensor via the GEM or some other device. You may get a fault because the sensor is missing but I doubt it will keep the engine from starting. You could just swap oil pans.

message center inputs

I checked my 2000 wiring diagrams. The sensor in the oil pan is the "engine low oil/temperature switch" that connects to the Message Center. The sensor has three wires: BK/WH (GND), DG/WH (temp) & WH/PK (level). The Message Center has no connection to the PCM so there should not be any fault reported.

Back