1999 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD Build Thread | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD Build Thread

PrerunnerManiac

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas Nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 AWD 5.0 Mountaineer
mounty_cropped.jpg

Well this is what my Mounty looks like now. It is a 1999 5.0 AWD and so far all I've done was added some wheel spacers to give me more off-set to fit these 31" General Red Labels on these Jeep wheels. I know AWD is not ideal but for what I want to do with it, it should be fine.

I decided to get True Travel Dynamics' +2.5 Ranger LT kit for the front
Ranger-2Plus-4WD-Long-Travel-Kit.jpg

I'm going to use FOA coil-over shocks and their 2 tube bypass shocks. For wheels and tires I got some 16x8 Method Grid wheels with the titanium finish, and I found these Pirellis at a good price here in town. They are 285/75/16
20171009_164119.jpg

I also got a pair of McNeil Racing's front fiberglass fenders with a 4" bulge
20171010_090515.jpg

I'm still not sure what the plan is for the rear. If you have any suggestions I'd like to hear them. On my 96 Explorer I used Deaver Springs, but I think I want to do something different.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I want to see how this one turns out. :popcorn: I do have to say she looks good with those Jeep wheels on her.

I can't find a single review online for one of their lifts. Best thing I ran across was somebody installing a work in progress lift design on a Tacoma. Seems like a ton to spend on something without any real background to verify?

a guy tries to quit the crack habit and you go throwing a huge pile right on my coffee table.

I'm in. This looks like it's going to be sweet.

Sorry it's been a while since I posted. I just got over being sick...so far I have the kit on the front except for the bypass shocks. A friend of mine is painting the McNeil fenders for me and only charging me for the paint!!!

I'll get some pictures posted soon.

I can't find a single review online for one of their lifts. Best thing I ran across was somebody installing a work in progress lift design on a Tacoma. Seems like a ton to spend on something without any real background to verify?

Yes they are a new company, but they have over 20 years of experience in off-road racing. They make a wider version of this kit they put on a Ranger. You can see it on their website: https://truetraveldynamics.com/kyles-ranger-prerunner/

They wanted a vehicle to test out their +2.5 kit so I offered up my Mountaineer.

Following, after a several year hiatus and picking up an 01 EB 5.0 with 100k miles.

Even though I only have a 5th gen right now. I will watch this thread. I am in search of a 2nd gen again.

Tim

Well I finally have an update. The first step to getting the shock towers on is to get rid of the factory upper shock mounts and the factory bumpstop. I also cleaned of the factory undercoating off the frame to get it prepped for welding.
DSC05142-p.jpg

Here is a pic with the shock tower welded on and painted with a little undercoat paint.

DSC05151-p.jpg

Here is the driver side installed
DSC05162-p.jpg

Normally this kit comes with tie-rod extensions to compensate for the extra width of the kit but I wanted their heim steering upgrade.

DSC05167-p.jpg

These things are a work of art. They are machined from 1.25" aluminum, and use a 3/4" rod end on the rack side and a 7/8" rod end on the knuckle side.

I had FOA powdercoat the bypass shock bodies black, and I think they look amazing

DSC05168-p.jpg

I should have the fenders back from paint tomorrow, then I can get those on.

Out back True Travel Dynamics was developing a 4-link kit that would get rid of the leaf springs in favor of a set of 12" coil-overs, but like every new product there is a trial and error period. They couldn't get the shock angle they wanted with this design, so they are going to make it a cantilever set up. The bad news is it has to wait until next week.

This weekend is basically the season opening weekend for the dunes and I am headed to Dumont to shoot some video and pics. So for now they altered the factory leaf springs and made some custom mounts for a pair of 10" FOA shocks.

I'll definitely post some pics of this thing out in the dunes. It'll also be a good place to test this kit. The dunes are a lot more forgiving than the desert is here in Las Vegas.

I'll also try and get pictures posted tomorrow if I really do get the fenders back from the painter...

I realize it is an investment, but the way I look at it is it is cheaper than my friend's 4 seat RZR and I have A/C :D

My thoughts exactly againt buying an RZR. I can have a/c and drive it to the wheeling spot on the highway! I can think of a ton of cars and trucks I'd rather build or buy before spending damn near $20k on a side by side.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I all I can say is wow. :)

Now being in the hydraulic hose business for close to 15 years,
the 90 degree bend on the hose make me cringe.

Hose bend 2.jpg

Back