• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

1999 Ranger 3.0 FF Adding a Tachometer

allmyEXes

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Blue Ex 4.0 SOHC
Callsign
KAGG 3611 (CB)
My very base model Ranger didn't come with a tachometer either. You would think that as cheap as it would be to put power windows, cruise control and tachometer that all of these trucks would have it.
I want to add a tachometer. If I come up with a speedometer/tach assembly is it as simple as 'plug and play'? Is the wire/wiring already there in the connector?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

allmyEXes

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Blue Ex 4.0 SOHC
Callsign
KAGG 3611 (CB)
I think that I found some info...

allmyEXes

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Blue Ex 4.0 SOHC
Callsign
KAGG 3611 (CB)
So I found out there is a tach wire in the instrument wiring connector. If I wanted to just add a stand alone tach, then the 3rd wire that I think is green would tap in to the tach wire. Does anyone know what color the tach wire is?

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
EF Vendor
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
I believe you could add in a factory one? Aren’t the clusters modular, and the individual gauges can be removed?

allmyEXes

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Blue Ex 4.0 SOHC
Callsign
KAGG 3611 (CB)
I might could swap out within the cluster however I did see a video where someone swapped the whole cluster assembly. CTTOI, (Come To Think Of It) My 1997 Merc Mountaineer cluster might swap out with it. I know that is a couple of years older but it is the same overall dash design. My old MM is for parts now.
Edited at 12:20 p.m. One is pre pats and one is pats. I wouldn't think that the instruments would have to be from a pats equipped vehicle.