• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1999 Ranger-Towing a 3.0 with automatic transmission

allmyEXes

Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Merc "MO" the 5.0
Callsign
KAGG 3611
In my collection I have a 1999 Ranger. I need to put it on a tow dolly to take it to my Dad's old garage/shop 15 miles one way from where it is now located. I know it would be best to disconnect the driveshaft however on that short of a trip it would be towed in neutral and not going over 45 mph at the most. When I get to the destination I need to be able to drive it off of the Tow Dolly and into the building is the main reason to leave the D-shaft in and those 12 point 12mm flange bolts are a bit of a booger to get loose when they are factory tight.
The Ranger has a FF 3.0 and an auto trans in it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
I don’t see a question anywhere or asking for opinions, but I’ll assume you are asking.
I would consider the fact that it’s a twenty year old auto trans, and one that is costly to repair and is very hard to find another, given the odd bolt pattern of the 3.0 engine.
Then I would compare that to how hard or troublesome it is to remove four bolts and then put those bolts back in when you get to the shop.
Or put the rear on the tow dolly if it’s 2wd.

donalds

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer sohc
Put the rear tires on the tow dolly and use the seatbelt to hold the steering wheel straight

allmyEXes

Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Merc "MO" the 5.0
Callsign
KAGG 3611
I didn't start out by saying "I have a question" but I believe that most would be able to see the question from the context of the paragraph.
@RangerX Thanks and you figured that out but you may be smarter than the average person that may read this.
You make a good point. It is alot easier to remove 4 bolts than a trans R&R and rebuild a transmission. I guess that I will tow from the rear or remove the shaft. It is 2WD and thanks for your input!

410Fortune

Flood Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
I was gonna say put the transfer case in N but this is RWD so..........you must disco the rear d shaft
15 miles is probably NOT going to hurt your auto trans but you really should remove the d shaft as the trans will be spinning with no lubrication, even in N
I have an electric impact that can remove D shaft bolts.... I got tired of fighting them all the time

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C 1999 Ford Ranger 4.0 cam position sensor wiring Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 2
B 1999 Ranger 3.0 Fuel Injector Connector? Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 0
B salvage 1999 ranger 4X4 Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 0
S 1999 Ford Ranger electrical or starter problems Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 3
J 1999 ranger 4.0 0hv timing question Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 1
H 1999 Ranger Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 1
F 1999 4X4 Ranger Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 2
G 1999 ford ranger running hot Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 3
K 1999 ford ranger xlt 4.0 help! Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 1
R I need help with my 1999 Ranger. Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 5
D Problems with 1999 Ranger Evac System Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 0
E locaion of the rabs module in a 1999 ford ranger xl Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 1
R I need a fuse box diagram for a 1999 Ranger. Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 2
J My 1999 Ford Ranger doesn't start. Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 1
G 1999 Ford Ranger driver's side window replacement. Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 1
T My 1999 Ford Ranger sometimes runs rough. Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 2
T 1999 ranger xlt Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 5
S 1999 XLT Ford Ranger Heater on discharges battery and system to Zero on gauge. Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 1
J 1999 Ford Ranger clutch kit. Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 2
A 1999 Ford Ranger turn signals gradually quit working. Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 3
P 1999 ford ranger 4 low and 4 high dash lights flash 4 times Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 2
B 1999 Ranger pulls to the right when I step on the brakes. Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 6
D 1999 ranger o2 sensor bypass Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 2
L 1999 Ford Ranger 4WD-- Fix or sell??? Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 3
M 1999 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 problem Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 0
M 1999 - 2001 Ranger Owners BEWARE!! Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 0
I Streo/CD 1999 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 0
B 1999 Ranger 2wd XLT Auto Tranny Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 4
D 1999 3.0 Ranger no start Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 2
S 1999 Ranger keeps blowing the instrument cluster, and rear taillight fuse. Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 2
P 1999 Ranger transmission linkage help--Please Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 5
C 1999 Ranger speedometer, odometer, and cruise control stopped working. Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 2
C 1999 Ford Ranger XLT - Brake Light on Dash Stays Lit Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 2
9 1999 ranger headlight mods? Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 1
K 1999 Ford Ranger Part-Out Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 1
J 1999 Ranger - ABS Light (Common problem?) Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 1
W Rear end in my 1999 ranger tilts up when taking off Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 11
W 1999 Ranger has a small jerk when I stop and take off. Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 3
W 1999 ranger abs light stays on all the time Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 2
D My 1999 reg cab Ranger & audio system (photos) Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 2
K ***PRICE REDUCED***1999 Custum Ford Ranger XLT Stepside Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 1
C 1999 Ranger modifications Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 1
B 1999 Mazda B2500 SE, random cylinder 4 skip.....HELP Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 10
G 1999 mazda b2500 code po 171 Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 0
R 1999 4.0 offroad front tires do not spin, and other questions Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 3
C 2003 ford ranger Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 0
E Free Ranger fenders 2001 So California Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 0
A Ford Ranger Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 4
Paul Paul's 2011 Ranger FX4 Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 37
B Looking at buying 01 Ranger. Advice? Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum 4