1999 Ranger transmission has no reverse. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Ranger transmission has no reverse.

brokenfoot

Reaction score
City, State
Port Jervis NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ranger
Hello: I have a 99 Ranger with a 4R44E transmission. Lost reverse gear. All others work fine. Any ideas

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sometimes a lack of reverse could be caused by a fault in the transfer case such as a cracked shift rail or a shift fork. Do you have manual 1st gear? The low/reverse band controls low & reverse gears.

no reverse

Hello: Yes, manual low does work. All other aspects seem to work properly. I have dropped the pan and changed the filter, nothing out of the ordinary there. Just some sludge, no metal. Everything on the net seems to point to the separator plate and valve body assembly. I don't know that i would want to seperate the body and plate. I am looking at a rabuilt valve body for about $100.00. I am not sure if this is the way to go.

Jeff

no reverse

Hello: No i did not the 4 bolts and check the low/reverse servo. I thought that if manual low worked , that meant it was ok.

Jeff

Hello: I will not be able to pull the pan again untill next weekend. Very busy week ahead of me. When i do should these problems be obvious. If i don't see any problems, then is the rebuilt valve body the way to go? Any tthing else i shoul look for while it is apart.

Thanks

Jeff

Hello: I will not be able to pull the pan again untill next weekend. Very busy week ahead of me. When i do should these problems be obvious. If i don't see any problems, then is the rebuilt valve body the way to go? Any tthing else i shoul look for while it is apart.

Thanks

Jeff

Ok: I have pulled the reverse servo. There is a chip on the end of it. I assume we replace the servo. Do I have to check any thing else in the trans. Do i still need to do anything with the valve body.

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff,

Sorry to hear you are having the dreaded no-REV issue. Did the servo fix the issue?

If no:

please check out the sticky like Brooklyn Bay suggested. It is a long read, but it is very helpful and will give you a good idea as to what you will be up against. If you do decide to go witha "reman" VB DONT get one off ebay (most of them are merely cleaned off)... Go to a reputable VB rebuilder like Central Valve Body. A truly rebuilt VB will cost around $230-270.

If you do decide to do the VB yourself there is a comprehensive list of parts, updates etc... that you can get. Please keep us posted after you get it squared away (I am dealing with no-reverse issue myself)

Thanks,
Mike

no reverse

Hello: I have no changed the reverse servo yet. I pulled it apart this morning, checked it and called the local Ford dealer. The part is dicontinued and unavailable. The are no tranny shops open today to inquire about availability. I will be looking for the part on monday. IF anbody has any segestions where i might find one it would be appreciated.

Jeff

When I was at the JY last sunday experimenting on 4r55e and 5r55e transmissions (I do that so I don't mess up my own) I took the REV/LOW servo outta a 4r44e and compared it to one that I pulled outta a 5r55e. They looked virtually the same to me. I would double check, but if you get a good one from a JY you'll prolly pay $5...

If you cant find one there are a bunch of transmission parts houses:

I am not sure which one is for your application but you could probably call:
https://www.wittrans.com/showfilter.aspx?Category=1355&Section=180

Let me know if you need the Servo Plate Gasket (I can send you 1 - when I went to FORD they made me buy a pack of 3 - So I have an extra 1 if you need)

-Mike

no reverse

Hello: I ordered the reverse servo. The one that came in is different than the original one. Ford tells me there is 3 different ones. 1 groove, 2 groove & a 3 groove on the top of the stem. Mine didn't have any groves on the top of the stem, but does have one on the bottom.
Can anybody tell me how to tell the difference. Is the Ford dealership correct?

I would hate to put this back together and have it not work properly and start looking at something else.

Jeff

no reverse

Hello: The original one is a little longer about 1/16", and the small end "top" is a little smaller in OD. Can anybody tell me where the grooves are located. Ford dealer told me on "top". I assume the smaller end is the "top". As i look at the original one i now see that there is one very small groove on what i would call the bottom next to the piston.

Jeff

They come in different lengths because there is no adjustment screw for the low reverse band. The correct servo length is selected by measuring to the band, to short and the band won't apply, too long and the band may break. Since yours was broken, and you probably don't have the tool needed to get the correct measurement, I would replace the servo with the same length.

Here's a break out view of the low/reverse servo from Glacier991's photo gallery:
15286DSCN5010.jpg

no reverse "works now"

Hello: I would like to thank everyone for their help. I have now located the correct reverse servo and replaced it. The Ford dealer that gave me the BAD information the first time, figured out that the come in different lengths. Imagine that. We were able to measure the one that i had and figure out that it was a one groove. I have a no groove one that i was able to locate at a ford dealer in Austin, Texas. This one is no longer available from Ford. If anyone has a use for it, give me a shippping address.

I am not a tranny guy, and was a litttle aprehensive about doing this project.
Over all it was real easy and can be done by anyone that can turn a wrench.
I would give it a 2 on a scale of 1-5. Only because of the mess, not the difficulty.

Again: I would like to thank everyone.

Jeff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

AWESOME! I am so glad to hear you got it sorted out! Another success story! Please keep in touch here, there is a lot of info in the transmission section that will help keep your trans in good working condition.

Back