1999 Replace seats with 02 Explorer Seats | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Replace seats with 02 Explorer Seats

Shane_D

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer
Hi all. I recently picked up an old 1999 xlt explorer. The seats are kinda junky and we wanted to replace them. We found a set at our local junkyard but they are from an 02 Explorer. Has anyone ever swapped seats between those two years? Will they just bolt in with the existing holes, or will we need to drill new ones in the frame to make this work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If they're from a 2 door Sport, they'll bolt right in.

If they're from a 4 door, I don't know what it will take to put them in. You'll need to use the tracks from your '99 with the 4 door seats. The spacing between the holes where the seat bolts to the track may or may not be the same.

Same seat tracks on both models. Only difference between models is seat options and the sport seat fold forward.

The 2002 4 door is a completely different vehicle. Any seats from Explorers 2001 and earlier will bolt right into his '99. Only 2 door Sports from '02 and '03 are definitely direct bolt-ins.

I have taken 92 Seat and put them in my Daughters 96 explorer and they work great. Now just have to hook up the Electrical so I can move the seats front and back :)

Back