1999 Sport "Auto" 4WD?

Y2KFirehawk

Reaction score
City, State
Lehigh Valley, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'22 Bronco Wildtrak
Good afternoon.

Recently I have been looking at Explorer Sports as a new DD. I have test drove a 2001 Sport and a 1999 Sport.

The 2001 Sport had the selections of 2WD - 4WD-HI - 4WD-LOW
The 1999 Sport had the selections of AUTO - 4WD-HI - 4WD-LOW

My understanding of the "AUTO" is much like my 2007 in that you are driving one front wheel and one rear wheel until slippage is detected.

I do not need "AUTO" and would much rather 2WD to save gas. I read somewhere that the "AUTO" is 2WD until there is slippage and then it engages the transfer case...? I know what I'm doing with 2WD and that just seems like an annoyance to me....?

I'm definitely a n00b to this drive train and I'm only familiar with 2002+ and 1992 Explorers..... Thanks for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone? Is this too noob...? Wrong section?

in 4x4 auto it is 2wd intill slippage occurs, then it locks the front in to a certain percentage depending on the amount of slip. It will also slightly engage the front end when accelerating. You will get the same mileage with either one... assuming they have the same engine.

I say this because the front diff will always be moving, even in 2wd, because the front axle half shafts are always connected to the wheels, there are no hubs on them.

also, the 4x4 auto can easily be disabled to get 2wd. search for "brown wire mod" or "BWM"

in 4x4 auto it is 2wd intill slippage occurs, then it locks the front in to a certain percentage depending on the amount of slip. It will also slightly engage the front end when accelerating. You will get the same mileage with either one... assuming they have the same engine.

I say this because the front diff will always be moving, even in 2wd, because the front axle half shafts are always connected to the wheels, there are no hubs on them.

All great information that I did not know! Thank you very much!! :D

Back