1999 Stock Explorer 4.0 v6 Automatic Issue Loss of Power | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Stock Explorer 4.0 v6 Automatic Issue Loss of Power

Fisherman Juan

Reaction score
City, State
Homestead,Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer 4.0 v6
Hello everyone, I'll try to be as clear as possible and give you all the info I currently have gathered of the symptoms I am getting.

I recently purchased a 1999 explorer 4.0 v6 with an automatic transmission with no modifications at all and 122,000 miles.

The vehicle has been taken care of and after a week or so of having it I have noticed it is not driving the same and I have a check engine light that came on.

The MAIN issue is a loss of power on the high way and also even going at 30mph at certain times. The car when cold makes a small rattle noise underneath then goes away while driving but doesn't do it all the time. The shifting of gears seem smooth when they happen and no noises occur when they shift but at times I sink my foot on the accelerator pedal and my mph will slowly increase while my rpm's stay still or barely move until I let off the gas a bit. It almost seems held back or clogged and doesn't have the same power and feel to it as it had when I purchased it.

Gauges are all fine, oil pressure is in the middle, never over heats, air conditioning runs cold, idles at a steady 550 to 650 rpm's and doesn't stall. Cranks up easily in the mornings and my fluids are all on point.

I havent cleaned out the mass air flow sensor yet but that's next and I replaced the air filter already but wanted to see if you all also had any ideas as to what could be the cause of this. If you all need any other information please let me know and I greatly appreciate all your help!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fuel filter would be my guess.

I appreciate the feedback man. I guess I could try replacing that as well. Is it complicated to do on this vehicle? Anyone else have any suggestions as to.what it could be?

My biggest fear was if this was transmission related but I don't think its leaning in that direction

Catalytic converter clogged?

When I get it to the shop I will have them run a pressure test and see.

I did clean the MAF sensor and put her on the highway but still the same result.

Oh here's another symptom, if I put my hand at tthe tail pipe exit I can't keep my hand there for longer than 3 seconds wwithout it burning me. Its pretty hot back there and I'm getting a rough idle now.

Really need the codes though...do you have access to an OBD II scanner?

Maybe O2s, but hard to say without the codes.

I don't have one personally, would it be worth swinging it by autozone for them to hook it up to the CPU?

If I accelerate decently hard I get a smell for a little of almost burnt is how I could describe it.

Yes, having the code read and posted wold go a very long way in helping diagnose instead of just guessing.

Back