• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

1st and 2nd Gen A-Pillar NMO Antena Mount

Brian1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
About a year ago I made a bracket to install a NMO mount antenna just behind the hood and in front of the A-pillar on my Explorer for my VHF radio. Previously I had been using a mag mount that I removed after each trip and I got tired of doing that so I decided to go with a more permanent solution.

I redesigned my LED pod light brackets to fit a NMO mount instead. It doesn't require any drilling and bolts right on. I have been using a Larsen 2/70 NMO antenna and it has been working out great! I also bought a NMO cap for the times I want to remove the antenna.

I also took the rubber cover off the radio antenna on a parts Explorer and cut it down slightly to install on the Larsen antenna to stiffen it some and cover up the set screws at the bottom.

TsherryUSA

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
PORTLAND
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ford Explorer 4WD 5spd
About a year ago I made a bracket to install a NMO mount antenna just behind the hood and in front of the A-pillar on my Explorer for my VHF radio. Previously I had been using a mag mount that I removed after each trip and I got tired of doing that so I decided to go with a more permanent solution.

I redesigned my LED pod light brackets to fit a NMO mount instead. It doesn't require any drilling and bolts right on. I have been using a Larsen 2/70 NMO antenna and it has been working out great! I also bought a NMO cap for the times I want to remove the antenna.

I also took the rubber cover off the radio antenna on a parts Explorer and cut it down slightly to install on the Larsen antenna to stiffen it some and cover up the set screws at the bottom.

Hey Brian, IIRC you were selling these mounts? Can't seem to find the thread where I saw that with the info on how to order. Do you mind posting that here?

Brian1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ