1st Car accident today! :Fire: | Page 2 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

1st Car accident today! :Fire:

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
You're too close if you can't stop before hitting the car in front PERIOD. It doesn't matter why they slam on their brakes it's your responsibility to leave adequete stopping distance.

I hate it when people get out of their car flipping people off when the accident was their own fault:eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
The distance rule I learned was 2-3 seconds behind the car in front of you, but maybe that is ol' school driver's ED. But it is probably a good rule to drive by.

Robb

Explorer4u2c

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
Originally posted by morrisey0
The distance rule I learned was 2-3 seconds behind the car in front of you, but maybe that is ol' school driver's ED. But it is probably a good rule to drive by.

Robb

I had driver improvment class last week.. hehe... anyways, they said it's 1 sec per every 10mph you are going. The easiest way is when the guy in front of you passes a sign or something, count 1 1000, 2 1000, 3 1000, 4 1000... until you pass the sign too. so if you going 50mph, there should be 5 seconds between yall. and so on and so on.

Ray Lobato

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Honda Accord
Originally posted by RoadEnforcer
They say one car legenth for every 10 miles correct? so I guess I was going about 25 because I was slowing down because we were going down a hill and I noticed she was going slow and i was at least 2 cars behind her.... Still my fault? Shouldnt be that is just a joke.

It's the "3 second rule".

You should be able to count 3 seconds between you and the vehicle infront of you. That is concidered a safe distance. Mark a spot that the vehicle in front of you goes by, then count 1001, 1002, 1003 and you should be just going past that same spot. If you get there before 3 seconds, then you don't have asafe distance between you and the vehicle in front of you.

Texplorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Morgantown, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT 4x4 4.0
I really wish these rules applied where I live. You will be lucky to have 1/2 second in between your car and the next. And if you leave enough space for ONE car to squease in, they will. So even if you try to obey the space rule, other cars take advantage.

Robert

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Kelseyville, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Oh you know what pisses me off the most about it? If we need to go through insurance ITS GONNA BE ALL MY FAULT! because a damn biker slamned on his brakes in the middle of the road and a minivan slammed on her brakes...

It's gonna be all your fault because you failed to maintain an adequate distance behind the vehicle you were following. If you were 2 1/2 seconds behind and still it her, then next time try 3 1/2 or get your brakes fixed. :( It doesn't matter why she stopped, you still have to maintain adequate distance in front of you. It would have been no different had a kid came running off the side of the street to catch a ball. If she has to slam on her brakes to avoid hitting something, it's your responsibility to make sure you don't hit her. It may not seem fair, but those are the rules.

ChuckyD

Moderator Emeritus Elite Explorer ECX Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Oceanside, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 4Runner SR5
Originally posted by Texplorer
I really wish these rules applied where I live. You will be lucky to have 1/2 second in between your car and the next. And if you leave enough space for ONE car to squease in, they will. So even if you try to obey the space rule, other cars take advantage.

Sounds about 100 accurate to me... try following someone and leaving some space between, only to find some D**KH**d squeezing in... :fire:

Its even worse in brooklyn... thats where the 5MPH bumper tests are perfected... LOL

Robert

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Kelseyville, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Originally posted by Explorer4u2c

I had driver improvment class last week.. hehe... anyways, they said it's 1 sec per every 10mph you are going. The easiest way is when the guy in front of you passes a sign or something, count 1 1000, 2 1000, 3 1000, 4 1000... until you pass the sign too. so if you going 50mph, there should be 5 seconds between yall. and so on and so on.

Uhmm, unless things have drastically changed since I went through Driver's Ed 20 years ago, the rule is 1 CAR LENGTH for every 10 MPH, not 1 second for every 10 MPH. If this is the new rule, you would be over 700 feet behind the car in front of you at 70 MPH. That is roughly 40 car lengths at 70 MPH. The other rule used to be 2 seconds behind the car in front of you, however I think Safety Instructors are starting to push 3 seconds now. Following either rule, the faster you are traveling, the more distance you will have between you and the vehicle in front of you.

red96camaro

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 4.0 (SOLD)
yea, nyc driving is damn near impossible, ever drive down near times square chucky? I was gonna cry, those cabbies are nuts. lol :D

ChuckyD

Moderator Emeritus Elite Explorer ECX Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Oceanside, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 4Runner SR5
NO Never... take the train into Penn then subway it around!!!! wouldnt even attempt to drive!

BTW... NY law. You are responsible for the front of your vehicle regardless, unless the other party admits that it was ALL their fault.

red96camaro

Reaction score
City, State
KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 4.0 (SOLD)
LOL, I haven't attempted it since.

Texplorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Morgantown, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT 4x4 4.0
Times Square is pretty bad but I have driven in some worse places here in the city. Those damn taxi and car service people are the worst. They dont even use blinkers, they just FORCE their way into your lane.

TarHeel085

And den
Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4wd
Originally posted by ChuckyD
NO Never... take the train into Penn then subway it around!!!! wouldnt even attempt to drive!

BTW... NY law. You are responsible for the front of your vehicle regardless, unless the other party admits that it was ALL their fault.
i thought NY was a no fault state?

RoadEnforcer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
Yeah if i lived in the city I would make sure I had a Brush guard and bumper guard because When i was in new york for one day I must have seen 6 accidents.... Anyway by the looks of it I started a drivers ED thread

Bartman

Reaction score
City, State
Erie, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
my 2 cents

I completely agree with JDraper: there are good and poor bikers and drivers. I'm sorry the biker used bad judgement, but.... I also commute to work on my bike occasionally and don't find the "humor" in suggesting that people run over bikers in their trucks. That kind of "joke" isn't needed on this board.

Furthermore, I disagree with the proposed idea that bikes belong on the sidewalk. As mentioned above, bikes have similar rights (and responsibilities) as cars and generally belong on the road just like a car. One of the closest calls I've had to really hurting someone involved a biker riding on a sidewalk. They just aren't as visible to drivers (esp. if you ride against traffic on the sidewalk).

As a biker and driver, I'm equally ticked off by inconsiderate bikers as inconsiderate drivers. Bottom line: share the road!

hornz2000

Reaction score
City, State
Athens, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport
I learned one car length for every 10 mph you are going..example you are going 60 then you should be at least 6 car lengths behind other car.

Jason_25

Reaction score
City, State
New Bern, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Explorer "Expedition"
Yeah if i lived in the city I would make sure I had a Brush guard and bumper guard because When i was in new york for one day I must have seen 6 accidents.... Anyway by the looks of it I started a drivers ED thread
Guess what? All a brush guard and bumper guard will do in a wreck is collapse and damage your vehicle even more than if you didn't have them.

RoadEnforcer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
in a fender bender?

Jason_25

Reaction score
City, State
New Bern, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Explorer "Expedition"
Yep. In a fender bender.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

RoadEnforcer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
No crap.... then why the hell do people buy them if the cant handle crap like that?