1st gen Batch Fire Injection to Sequential electronic injection swap | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1st gen Batch Fire Injection to Sequential electronic injection swap

The DPFE measures a differential in pressure between the 2 tubes. No vacuum used.
The pressure difference results when the egr valve opens.

Two tubes from the exhaust manifold, just to add.

Benjam :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Two tubes from the exhaust manifold, just to add.

Benjam :D

Im certainly not adding them..I have headers and a custom supercharged setup, dont even have places to add EGR..im sure someone somewhere has figured out how to trick it, just gota do some searching. .

The tubes actually connect to the egr tube, not the manifold. Not all sequential fire rangers had EGR either.

I didn't think any pre 95 rangers had sefi except the 94 cali model, which has egr.

Can you turn it off with a tune? Otherwise, egr only works under vacuum anyway, not during full throttle. It may help your engine last longer. Just a thought.

Using EGR and plumbing for it might be less hassle than trying to eliminate it.

Can you turn it off with a tune? Otherwise, egr only works under vacuum anyway, not during full throttle. It may help your engine last longer. Just a thought.

Im waiting on my tuner to call back.but really wanted to do this soon, before new motor goes in and gets tuned..

Im not a fan of egr at all, especially with a inlet where its pre-charger..plus I just dont have anywhere to install one without changing headers and redesigning my charger setup...all not going to happen. .

Found it....;)

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90610

Before I post anything. .this vehicle did not come with egr and is not required. .check your local laws first!!!

Stock egr system

FordEGRSystem_zpsdhcjzvyh.jpg

You basically take the inlet tube of the DPFE sensore and connect it to the output of the EVR..this gives a high reading of vacuum and wont allow it to ever want to open..what this does as far as feul mix or other down sides , I dont know but will get me by till I get tuned..still waiting on a call back to confirm he can remove it from the tune..

FordEGRSystem2_zps60r0ksjz.jpg

EGR bypass

Found it....;) . . . I dont know but will get me by till I get tuned..still waiting on a call back to confirm he can remove it from the tune. . .

That was the configuration that I remembered seeing posted a couple times by BobWiersema: Bypass it

The DPFE only measures the pressure differential between the two ports. There is no exhaust flow thru the DPFE. If there were it and the hoses would quickly melt from the heat. Therefore, with the bypass configuration shown there will be no unmetered airflow thru the DPFE and the EVR into the intake manifold to lean the AFR. Personally, I wouldn't take the time to install it. Your tuner should be able to easily disable EGR.

My 1996 Volvo turbo wagon appears to have had EGR at one time but was disabled. I found a crimped short length of the EGR tube still attached to the exhaust manifold. I replaced the stub with a threaded plug. I guess a previous owner disabled the EGR capability in the ECU because I have no associated DTC.

. Personally, I wouldn't take the time to install it. Your tuner should be able to easily disable EGR.

M.

It honestly wont take that long to install. .I would like to get all the wiring done before the new motor goes in..im planning on doing the motor/trans swap in two days so really need all the time I can get..I can only leave the vehicle in the shop over the weekend, then has to be out so deliveries can go out ;)

As you know im sct dyno tuned, its not something I can remove or be removed remotely. .:(

Why not just drive with the check engine light on instead of adding wires to your Ranger engine wiring harness and mounting the EVR and DPFE that you will remove after the tune?

Wont it run in closed loop?? Wouldn't I get horrible mileage and run like crap?? Ill still be driving it for probably a month or two, till motor/trans is done :(

open loop?

I assume that you meant open loop meaning the PCM ignores the O2 sensors. That's a good question. Right now I can't think of a reason for the PCM to stay in open loop just because there is no EGR. The O2 sensors are still valid whether or not there is EGR. Your tune is probably a little rich in open loop so your fuel economy would suffer. The main reason I don't like to run in open loop is because of potential damage to my high flow cats.

I assume that you meant open loop meaning the PCM ignores the O2 sensors. That's a good question. Right now I can't think of a reason for the PCM to stay in open loop just because there is no EGR. The O2 sensors are still valid whether or not there is EGR. Your tune is probably a little rich in open loop so your fuel economy would suffer. The main reason I don't like to run in open loop is because of potential damage to my high flow cats.

Opps yea open loop...

Hmm ill have to do some research. I swore I seen it goes into open loop because its used to adjust a/f and timing as well..if it doesnt then I could live with a light..

Isn't open loop basically what it runs at idle at wot anyways tho?? If I would only suffer at cruise then I could live with that also..I do all city driving, its either idle or WOT anyways! !!:D

starts in open loop

The PCM is in open loop when the engine is started until the O2 sensor heaters get the sensors hot enough to be reliable. On a warm day my PCM will switch from open to closed loop in less than 30 seconds. The PCM cycles the AFR slightly for several reasons but one is to determine if the pre-cat O2 sensors are functional. If the PCM determines that they are not functional then it reverts to open loop using stored parameters. If the O2 sensors are functional the PCM will stay in closed loop even at idle. At WOT the PCM switches from closed to open loop because the narrow band O2 sensors are not reliable at the rich AFR needed at WOT. The main purpose of running closed loop is to reduce emissions and fuel consumption. I would be surprised if the PCM compromised that purpose by switching to open loop just because the EGR was not functional.

The PCM is in open loop when the engine is started until the O2 sensor heaters get the sensors hot enough to be reliable. On a warm day my PCM will switch from open to closed loop in less than 30 seconds. The PCM cycles the AFR slightly for several reasons but one is to determine if the pre-cat O2 sensors are functional. If the PCM determines that they are not functional then it reverts to open loop using stored parameters. If the O2 sensors are functional the PCM will stay in closed loop even at idle. At WOT the PCM switches from closed to open loop because the narrow band O2 sensors are not reliable at the rich AFR needed at WOT. The main purpose of running closed loop is to reduce emissions and fuel consumption. I would be surprised if the PCM compromised that purpose by switching to open loop just because the EGR was not functional.

Both my O2s are pre cat stock..but very interesting. .I thought it would run like crap but more I research the differences the more I think ill just run it without the egr stuff and a CEL on..little more research. .

Again thanks for all the help:salute:

Just like to point out, what you described is accurate for your 2000, or most, if not all 96+ OBD2 vehicles, as they have heated o2 sensors, and tend to reach closed loop status faster and stay in it for a greater percentage of time, then older obd1 vehicles. Its part of why obd2 vehicles generally get better fuel economy. Older vehicles tend to "drift" back into open loop after idling for more then a few minutes, as there is not enough / hot enough exhaust gas to keep the o2 at closed loop operating temps.

Also, EGR flow absolutely has a major impact on a/f ratio and timing. Its why it has such a big effect on light load cruise fuel economy. Given jd4242's unique combo/circumstances, I can kind of see why he might prefer to go without it. But, generally speaking, EGR is a very good thing; particularly if you do a lot of long distance highway driving.

EGR gas flow:

A.) cools the cylinder/lowers combustion chamber temps, allowing for leaner a/f mixtures and more advanced timing without detonating, which more completely burns the air-fuel charge and makes for more efficient operation ( higher mpg ).

B.) replaces combustible fresh air/fuel in the cylinder with un-burnable exhaust gas. It essentially lowers the engine displacement. Less fresh air in = less fuel needed = better mpg

C.) reduces engine output. So, not good at WOT, or under load. However, when you are just cruising down a fairly level highway, you may only need 20-30hp to comfortably maintain speed. So, reduced power output isn't really a factor here . Also, since there will be reduced power output for a given throttle angle, you may need a slightly greater throttle opening/angle with EGR on vs no EGR. This is also a good thing, as it reduces inlet restriction, and therefor reduces parasitic pumping losses. I would say this factor contributes only a small amount to EGR's total benefits, but it helps.

So, as long as you tune for it properly, EGR is something most people who drive their vehicles regularity should want to keep, or even add. EGR is not incompatible with performance, except perhaps in some of the most extreme cases. Personally, I would love to be able to easily add it to my '93 Ranger

Ill agree on a stock daily driven car, especially if long distances are driven, egr is a good thing. anyone that was doing this swap,I would suggest they do try and get all the parts and use egr..gas mileage I would think would drastically improve with the swap

This truck is not..its driven very hard for short distances and or track driven. .egr in this case does me no good.

Just like to point out, what you described is accurate for your 2000, or most, if not all 96+ OBD2 vehicles, as they have heated o2 sensors, and tend to reach closed loop status faster and stay in it for a greater percentage of time, then older obd1 vehicles. Its part of why obd2 vehicles generally get better fuel economy. Older vehicles tend to "drift" back into open loop after idling for more then a few minutes, as there is not enough / hot enough exhaust gas to keep the o2 at closed loop operating temps.

Also, EGR flow absolutely has a major impact on a/f ratio and timing. Its why it has such a big effect on light load cruise fuel economy. Given jd4242's unique combo/circumstances, I can kind of see why he might prefer to go without it. But, generally speaking, EGR is a very good thing; particularly if you do a lot of long distance highway driving.

So will it go into open loop?? How bad will it run if I dont install it for the time being? Would it just run like it does at idle or wot(just rich)??

So will it go into open loop?? How bad will it run if I dont install it for the time being? Would it just run like it does at idle or wot(just rich)??

That would depend on whatever was programmed into the open loop look up tables, by the tuner. You would have to find out if an EGR failure code triggers the ecm to revert to open loop/limp mode or not. On the one hand, EGR has no function when at idle, under load, or at WOT. However, as someone else pointed out, these ecm's aren't sophisticated enough to determine the exact nature of an EGR failure; only that one occurred. Depending on the failure mode, and whether it results in too much or not enough EGR flow VS what's "expected", it could result in catastrophic engine failure (remember EGR has a big relationship with a/f and timing). So, in that regard, it would make sense for Ford to have "protected" the engine, by having an EGR code trigger a "limp" mode. I don't know. You would need to talk to someone who has extensive knowledge of these earlier ecm's / strategies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back