1st Gen car deck replacement advice?... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1st Gen car deck replacement advice?...

Private_Joker

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Sport
Hi all,

I have a first gen ex sport. My cd player has died so I've got to replace it.

I don't know much about car decks or installing them.

I'd like to get a Pioneer DEH-P-4600MP and just install it myself or have a shop do it.

Is this not a easy job? (to install it)?
I don't have the $ for amps etc. I just want to replace the car deck for now.

Any wiring issues?
Do you think there would be any wiring issues come up?
ie: I don't want get a shop to instal it and then they tell me I need to rewire the whole car or something like that.

Thanks in advance,
PJ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is pretty easy... You can buy an HU removal tool or make one out of coat hangers. (I made one). The first time I did it, it took me a while... But now I have done it so many times I don't even have to think about it.

Make sure you have the proper wiring harness so you don't have to cut apart your factory harness, and get an amp bypass harness or bypass it yourself (assuming you have a premium system.) The amp is in the trunk on the passenger side behind the panel, and the only easy way to get to it is to remove the panel. Also, remember that the premium system has a different harness than the standard system.

There should not be any wiring issues. You won't need to replace your wiring unless you plan on putting in some high-power system later on, and even then it's usually not totally necessary.

wiring harness & amp bypass harness?

Thanks for your advice.

I talked to one shop. They said the wiring harness was about $50, but they didn't mention anything about an amp bypass harness. Is this amp bypass harness expensive?

I'm just trying to an idea of my total cost without some rediculous 'surprise' charges. My truck isn't worth that much as it is!...

BTW B94Sport:
I checked out your Home Page. I don't know the details, but I'd have to say you have the craziest/bada$$ stereo setup I've ever seen! Congrats.
It's obviously way out of my understanding.

:chug:

B94Sport said:
It is pretty easy... You can buy an HU removal tool or make one out of coat hangers. (I made one). The first time I did it, it took me a while... But now I have done it so many times I don't even have to think about it.

Make sure you have the proper wiring harness so you don't have to cut apart your factory harness, and get an amp bypass harness or bypass it yourself (assuming you have a premium system.) The amp is in the trunk on the passenger side behind the panel, and the only easy way to get to it is to remove the panel. Also, remember that the premium system has a different harness than the standard system.

There should not be any wiring issues. You won't need to replace your wiring unless you plan on putting in some high-power system later on, and even then it's usually not totally necessary.

$50 for the main wiring harness seems expensive. Try going to Circuit City/Best Buy. I know Circuit City will sell you whatever harnesses you need, and they will also be able to tell you which ones you need (I used to work there.) Main harness is usually (I may be mistaken on this) around $25-$30... Certainly not $50!

As for my system, thanks. I took it out a while ago, but it's going into my new car in some form or another. We shall see.

Private_Joker said:
Hi all,

I have a first gen ex sport. My cd player has died so I've got to replace it.

I don't know much about car decks or installing them.

I'd like to get a Pioneer DEH-P-4600MP and just install it myself or have a shop do it.

Is this not a easy job? (to install it)?
I don't have the $ for amps etc. I just want to replace the car deck for now.

Any wiring issues?
Do you think there would be any wiring issues come up?
ie: I don't want get a shop to instal it and then they tell me I need to rewire the whole car or something like that.

Thanks in advance,
PJ

Seeing as you are in Canada - if you purchase a deck from FutureShop - the install is included and really only takes them 15 minutes. They already have the OE removal tool and the install includes wiring correctly.

Back