• Register Today It's free!

1st Gen Carpet Kit Questions

NWOff-Roader

Reaction score
City, State
Roseburg, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4
I'm trying to buy a complete stock carpet kit for my 1992 XLT 4 door. I've been looking at one from stockinteriors.com, but I'm just not sure yet. I'm sure there are plenty of other places out there and I know how to use the Google button, but can anyone personally recommend a good company to get one from?

I also have to figure out what the stock carpet color actually is, stockinteriors.com lists several different colors that it could be. It's sort of a medium tan/coyote brown looking color????

Any help is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if its just dirty you should take it to the carwash and powerwash it,joe dirt has a how to on here somewhere,I did that to mine and my bros and it looks brand new

You could also try RockAuto.com... they carry several varieties, I can't remember the brand, but you can use the discount code for a pretty good price.

I would find out factory interior color and name , then base your pick off of the companys recommendation and closeness of color. And by the way thanks for the power washing tip, I will do that this summer, gray turned into brown since the muddhole incident.

Good idea on the power washing. The carpet is not torn up or anything, it's just really dirty, so that might work. There's a couple stains out back in the cargo area, but with a little work maybe they'll come out too.

We'll see, I'm going to try and clean it before I buy a new kit. Thanks for the idea atxexplorer94!

I'm trying to buy a complete stock carpet kit for my 1992 XLT 4 door. I've been looking at one from stockinteriors.com, but I'm just not sure yet. I'm sure there are plenty of other places out there and I know how to use the Google button, but can anyone personally recommend a good company to get one from?

I also have to figure out what the stock carpet color actually is, stockinteriors.com lists several different colors that it could be. It's sort of a medium tan/coyote brown looking color????

Any help is appreciated.

We carry the ACC carpet kits for your vehicle. I can also send you a free color sample if you would like. Here's a link to the kit for your truck on our site.

Ford Explorer ACC Carpet Kit

If you do powerwash it I would recommend pulling the carpet pad off the back and then washing it without the pad on, it will dry in a day and you dont have to worry about mold on the pad or anything,after its dry just use some good spray glue like the kind they use for headliners and put the pad back on,for the real dirty spots put some pre treatment on it and get a good brush to scrub it and the brush can also be used as a squegee to help get the excess water out after ur done washing it.

Wow tony... that is a REALLY good price....

Just as an example of what you can do with a powerwasher, Spray Nine (best cleaner, ever... get it at Home Depot) and a Shop Vac (setup for water pickup)

This was a carpet from a Chevy Corsica. Mold in front from water leak, looks like somone dumped large quantities of beverages in the back ?? :rolleyes: Hey, the car was cheap... but this was disgusting.

P1000459.jpg

I powerwashed it until brown goo stopped running out, sprayed it down with spray nine and scrubbed it with a brush, powerwashed it again and vacuumed off the water, then repeated the scrubbing and washing.

P1000462.jpg

It dried out after a few hours in the sun since it was already mostly dry from the vacuum. I gave it another once over with the vacuum to even it out and put it back. With the seats and floormats in, it looks like a new car inside. Not bad for a morning's work. (ok, well more like 2 days to clean everything else and put it back too... :D)

I really appreciate all the responses, after seeing some of the nasty carpets brought back to life I feel a lot better. Mine doesn't look any where near as bad as some of those examples, so mine should be fine.

If not, I'll definately look you up 1ATony, thanks everyone!

Check out the latest on my other thread to see what came out of the carpet.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3003882#post3003882

The guy who re-upholstered my seats/console/headliner had his detail guy come do his thing before the seats were re-installed. Nasty is the only word I can think of to describe that water, but the carpet came out great in the end. My buddy says the interior looks and smells like new now!

Back