• Register Today It's free!

1st gen catalytic converter

Paynetf

Reaction score
City, State
Fishers, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer Limited
Anyone have a 1st gen catalytic converter or exhaust system they could sell me cheap?

You can always buy a new universal 3-way catalytic converter and put it in place of the factory converters, using 2.5" exhaust pipe to fill in the gaps.

New universal high-flow converters can be bought for ~$50-60, a lot less than the ~$200 of the stock converter assembly.

Of course, if you have to pay a shop $100-200 in labor and materials to weld it up and install it, you don't save anything over buying the new part and replacing it yourself.

You might try calling around to salvage yards, and/or posting in the wanted section of the for sale forum.

If you need a whole exhaust, you might consider the Dynomax Super Turbo cat-back system, it runs about $150 online or in stores, but you can usually get a factory rebate if you buy it during the spring/summer and get it for a lot less.

Anyone have a 1st gen catalytic converter or exhaust system they could sell me cheap?

+1 on the aftermarket cat. I have had real good experiences with Magnaflow catalytic converters and they are affordable. You can have a shop weld it in, or clamp it in yourself. Most auto parts stores will rent you an exhaust tailpipe cutter which lets you cut your exhaust pipe, though it will make your hands sore (I use a angle grinder with cutoff wheel).

I have installed the Dynomax catback on one of my Explorers and was really happy with it. It has a good sound, not a lot louder than stock.

Back