• Register Today It's free!

1st gen clip on 2nd gen...

Ranger_4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Chilliwack, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer XL 5spd
Has anybody put a 1st gen front clip on a 2nd gen?? I love everything about the 2nd gens... except the front end design. lol. Has anybody done this and does anyone have pictures if so? cheers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

or would putting a 1st gen body on a 2nd gen chassis be more ideal?

or would putting a 1st gen body on a 2nd gen chassis be more ideal?

****e son.. i thought the TTB set-up went to 97 like the rangers. i wanted to get an original 5.0L Explorer and 1st gen front clip it. but i prefer the TTB suspension.

I'm just gonna do a 5.0L swap on a first gen and disc brake swap the rear.

Cheers.

:ca:

correction only if im wrong but I believe that the 95+ explorer has the ifs with torsion bars. Even though the Ranger had the ttb to 97 the explorer went to 94

correction only if im wrong but I believe that the 95+ explorer has the ifs with torsion bars. Even though the Ranger had the ttb to 97 the explorer went to 94

You are correct!

Has anybody put a 1st gen front clip on a 2nd gen?? I love everything about the 2nd gens... except the front end design. lol. Has anybody done this and does anyone have pictures if so? cheers.
Did you ever end up doing it? I was thinking of doing the same exact thing. I heard someone say that the radiator support on the second gen is a bit different then the first gen but other then that all the body panels should work. At least that’s what they said.

@Vademastwe This thread is from 2015, so it might not get attention from the original poster.

I forget his name, but one user put a 2nd-gen front end on a 1st-gen. The other way around should be possible too. A bit of searching around might yield the results you're looking for.

Here ya go, found it for you.

What's true for putting a 2nd-gen front onto a 1st-gen, is also true for putting a 1st-gen front on a 2nd-gen.

@Vademastwe This thread is from 2015, so it might not get attention from the original poster.

I forget his name, but one user put a 2nd-gen front end on a 1st-gen. The other way around should be possible too. A bit of searching around might yield the results you're looking for.
Alright! Thank you so much!

From the a pillar forward the 95-01 is different from the 91-94
The firewall had most of the changes

From the a pillar back the 95-97 is identical to the 91-94

To put a gen I clip on a 95-01 is possible but I would plan to change the radiator support and likely some mods to the inner fender supports

Back