1st Gen EE Sway Bars to be Disco'd.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1st Gen EE Sway Bars to be Disco'd....

Spdrcer34

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XL
I just got off the phone with ExplorerExpress. I was ordering my new Sway Bars for my White Lowered Explorer.

I asked if they were 'in-stock' and she said "Yes, we have 5 sets left. But after these are gone, I am not going to be ordering anymore, EVER"

Then she went on to say that since they are custom made for EE, they have to order the bars in batches of 25 each, and it has taken them YEARS to sell the 1st Gen bars from the last batch they got in.

I asked about the 2nd Gen bars, and she said they are still good sellers. Mainly it is because the SportTrac uses the same suspension. So they still plan on selling them, and have no plans to discontinue the sale of the 2nd Gen offerings.

So, if you want EE bars for your 1st Gen, NOW is the time to order them.

Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At 290 a set i can see why there are getting Discontinued :eek:

on the other hand tho it looks like there are marking down and clearing out alot of stuff for the 1st Gens.

At 290 a set i can see why there are getting Discontinued :eek:

on the other hand tho it looks like there are marking down and clearing out alot of stuff for the 1st Gens.

If the gain is similar to the 2nd gen bars they are worth every penny. I love my rear bar.

its always sad to see one less product out there for these things

You think 290 is expensive for them?

Have you ever priced sway bars for ANYTHING else?

I put a 36mm Front sway bar on my old car. That one ALONE was $190. The Rear Bar was $120.

And for comparison sake, this wasn't some obscure unpopular car. The was for my 1980 Cutlass Calais. The Cutlass was the #1 selling car in America for 11 or 12 years straight.....A few years after the last RWD Cutlass rolled off the assembly line, the Explorer was born. And then IT was #1.

Ryan

$290 a set isn't bad at all considering what the Hellwig and Stillen bars have gone for, or what sway bar sets go for in general.

I would have bought a set a long time ago, but they seem to be designed for lowered Explorers, with the straight front bar and regular height bushings. On a stock height Explorer the bar would angle down and the bushings would sit funny on the underside of the frame with different height bolt holes without a spacer.

Not too hard to understand they haven't been big sellers either, most of the market for first gens is as off-road trail rigs and 4x4's, not street performers. Still, it's good they had some sets made and offered them to those would could use them. Most people will probably opt for the $100 Energy Suspension bushing kit instead, as they have been for some time. Kind of sad to see things go, but on the plus side, this will make the existing sets more rare and worth more down the road. Maybe.

I just bought a set of the swaybars for my 94 from EE. Very pleased with them. Easy install and it is an improvement. To be honest not as much as the Edelbrock shocks I put on a couple years ago. They're still the best cornering upgrade I've done. Interestingly enough they're the exact ones that the EE "complete kit" uses with the swaybars to complete it. So I guess I have the full "X-Spec" kit now, but the shocks really are the best part of it I think for cornering. Despite making for a rougher ride over bumps.

I beg to differ!!!!

I just put them on, and took the X for a short spin around the neighborhood....I only had time to install the front bar, but even with JUST the front bar on, I got almost NO adverse movement in the X when going in and out of a turn.

Ryan

eric,

I have one of those too.....31" tires, 2" lift....no front sway bar....I can't take a cloverleaf on ramp at speed, I have to wait for it to straighten out before I get on it.

With this bar, I could stay on the gas through the whole curve......and not even think twice about it.

Ryan

Blue has had the EE sway bars since 04 and it was the best improvement I have made to Blue's suspension! If you're thinking about getting them and haven't, i recommend it!

I totally agree...I don't even get any wheel hop on hard launches now, with the rear bar....

LOL....Hard launches in an Explorer.....that's something you don't see every day!....You should see the look on other peoples face when I do!...

Ryan

I totally agree...I don't even get any wheel hop on hard launches now, with the rear bar....

LOL....Hard launches in an Explorer.....that's something you don't see every day!....You should see the look on other peoples face when I do!...

Ryan

lol, I still had a little wheel hop with the bar on my 2nd gen after I put the 4.10's in. So I had some mounting brackets welded on the axle and put the factory "traction bars" back on. I think ford called them a control arm.

I should probably get some..... but unfortunately, my parts budget is gonna be short for a little while.... hopefully they still have them in a couple months.

Back