1st gen ford explorer, disconnected vacuum lines | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1st gen ford explorer, disconnected vacuum lines

discord

Reaction score
Troubled explorer on my folks property, used to be mine. Started it but had to hold the gas to drive it for a few blocks and there was a loud hiss. Trouble idling. Opened the hood and what do you know, disconnected vacuum lines.

tpTiCeO.jpg

Someone ( or something?) removed the vacuum lines on the ford explorer. There is a 5 way connector but I've only found 3 lines, and am not sure how to tell which line goes to which nozzle on the connector. Should there be 5 connectors? Can anybody help me regarding the ordering? Maybe a reference manual online or a scan?

bEn5ooNl.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just found this after a little googling.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...lorer-vacuum-line-madness-pics-inside.359540/

Troubled explorer on my folks property, used to be mine. Started it but had to hold the gas to drive it for a few blocks and there was a loud hiss. Trouble idling. Opened the hood and what do you know, disconnected vacuum lines.

Someone ( or something?) removed the vacuum lines on the ford explorer. There is a 5 way connector but I've only found 3 lines, and am not sure how to tell which line goes to which nozzle on the connector. Should there be 5 connectors? Can anybody help me regarding the ordering? Maybe a reference manual online or a scan?

From the referenced post diagram I believe what I'm looking at is labeled the man vac (manifold vacuum?) , can anyone confirm? I can't follow the other post all that well. Made a mistake above, there are clearly more than 5 connectors on it, but thankfully a few of the hoses are connected. There are 5 smaller connectors that I am showing above which are disconnected. I found two L shaped connection head vaccum lines originating from the same "cable shield", that are not connected . This is a problem that seems might be pretty easy to solve with a reference explorer nearby, but I'm on Orcas Island. Can someone with more experience or a clean setup take some pictures or find another way to help me?

My tree has at least two capped nipples on it, not connected or running to anything. I suggest you cap off all that you can't figure out, and take it from there.

Does this Explorer not have the factory vacuum diagram sticker on the radiator support?

I'll look for the sticker, and give this another shot with the additional photo I discovered last night. This is crazy sabotage. Not sure who would take those lines off and leave it like that.

Based on the image above, I connected one of the two "boot connectors" assuming it was the fuel pressure regulator, and the other two where the "Air Cleaner / Bi Metal" is labeled above. Then I plugged the other two caps. Seems to be idling ok right now. However from the diagram I would assume the FPR is the larger diameter hose that was already connected. Not sure I have the correct order and a little worried I could be messing with the firing or timing of the engine or do some damage. Going to add some youtube videos of it running.

x3YBt7e.jpg

eKR5Wpi.jpg

The cycle between 800 and 1000 RPMs on the tach corresponds to whatever the "funny spinning pully thing that ticks" in the first video.

Any additional help regarding the getting the man vac connected properly is appreciated.

I don't think there is a 'correct order' of hoses on the tree, the same vacuum is on all nipples. There are slight differences in the diameter, but as long as any given hose is big enough to fit over a nipple, but not too big to slip off easily, it's good.

What year Ex are you working on? If you want, I'll go take a pic of my vacuum tree and post it.

That's your ac compressor. When it shuts on and off that fast, you need to add refrigerant. There are many threads on doing ac work and plenty of videos on YouTube as well.

That's your ac compressor. When it shuts on and off that fast, you need to add refrigerant. There are many threads on doing ac work and plenty of videos on YouTube as well.

Hmm probably should have figured that one out. Thanks! Is it safe to disconnect the wiring harness if I don't want to bother working on the AC? Wouldn't mind stopping that periodic effect the compressor has on the engine, but not enough to change the serpentine belt or remove the compressor.

You could try that, or go the easy route of just pushing the ac button to turn it off.

You could try that, or go the easy route of just pushing the ac button to turn it off.

The AC was NOT turned on, but the compressor turns. But I went the "hard" route, and disconnected the plug and it stopped!

If the ac was off, but the compressor kept kicking on and off, it sounds like there could be electrical issues. Its good that piling the plug did stop it. Hopefully you will be able to get it completely fixed so your engine and ac work smoothly. :)

You've probably already figured this out, but if the A/C unit was cycling it would affect the idle RPM.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The AC is run While in defrost mode to help clear the windshield faster and to run the AC in the winter so the seals stay lubricated. This is independent of the AC switch.

Your Vacuum hoses came off because of a buildup of Carbon Dioxide in the intake that spontaneously ignited and blew the hoses off the manifold.

Believe it!

It's True!

Carbon Dioxide is to blame for everything!

:D

Back