1st gen ford explorer, disconnected vacuum lines | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1st gen ford explorer, disconnected vacuum lines

The AC was NOT turned on, but the compressor turns. But I went the "hard" route, and disconnected the plug and it stopped!

There is also a switch behind the heat/ac actuator lever, designed to kick the a/c on when you move the lever to Defrost.
That switch can get stuck. The fix (at least in my case) was to clean and re-lube the switch. It's not the easiest thing to get to.

Regarding vac lines blowing off, I've also seen that happen on a vehicle with a malfunctioning PCV valve.

Now I know why I can't buy a CO2 extinguisher any more. :)

Speaking of Extinguishers...

If you have ever cleaned up after a dry powder extinguisher you will ONLY use one in an extreme emergency. I worked in a car stereo shop when the FNG who was running an amp power wire managed to short the 5" section between the battery and the fuse holder. Sparks, melted insulation and a flame barely larger than a candle flame. The FNG dashes to the wall and grabs the big extinguisher there, pulls the pin, and then like Rambo proceeds to dump the WHOLE THING at the engine. Of course that car and the two in the other bays were wide open. Doors open, hoods and trunks up and that stuff went EVERYWHERE. We lost a day and a half just cleaning up the customer's cars and getting back to the installs. That powder will clog a vacuum cleaner I swear in seconds. As for how we knew how large the flame was the charred section of insulation was about 1/4" x 1/8" and should have been smothered with a rag or glove. :angryfire:

For those who don't know a FNG is a F**king New Guy, a military/jobsite acronym that goes back I don't know how many decades.

Back