• Register Today It's free!

1st gen HU replacement

spdy0001

Reaction score
City, State
New Cumberland / PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Sport / 5 speed
I have a 91 sport and I want to install my CD player. How do I determine if I need the amp bypass? I don't think I do because the reason im replacing the stock HU is because I can barely hear it going down the road. My stock radio has a tape player and a stupid toggle switch for volume.

Thanks in advance for your answers

You don't need the amp bypass but you should get it. You'll get cleaner sound and will be running your new HU's amp instead of the factory.

Does the tape player have DNR printed on it? If so you need the bypass. Really you don't need it in any case cause you can wire it so it works with the factory amp, but that is complex, & doesn't sound as good and It's just easier to bypass.

Or you can take it out of the dash & look at the plugs going into the stock radio. If you have 1 sqaure plug & a retangle plug you have the amp. If you have 2 retangle plugs you don't.

I finally got to pull the stereo out and discovered that I have the one flat plug and one square plug. Since I pulled it out I have purchased two wiring harness and neither of them are correct. The first one I purchased was for the base stereo with two long connectors. Then I exchanged that for the only other ford harness they had and it said it was compatable with ford premium stereo's and listed the 91 explorer on the back. Now that I have it home and opened it, I have noticed that its not right either. It has what looks to be the proper two plugs but it also has two more plugs attached that I have no idea what their for. Can anyone give me a brand and or part number of the correct HU harness and amp bypass harness? I noticed that crutchfield has what looks to be the proper harness but I would rather get it local and save on shipping costs if possible.

Back