• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

1st Gen SAS Toyota Steering Box??

Calling in the group on this one. I have a 93 with full width dana 44 1 ton steering with tie rod flip. I moved the axle forward a couple inches when building it a couple years ago. The 1 ton linkage is brand new. The problem is that because I have so little lift (~5" total) i'm smacking the pitman with the tie rod while flexing. I also just don't have enough clearance at the drag link/tie rod mount. I have thought about going full hydro to eliminate the drag link. I think it's somewhat overkill at this point. I'm actually interested in running toyota IFS box that I can mount forward of the axle. I think it would solve nearly all the clearance issues, easier, and more economical than full hydro. Has anyone done this (on a 1st gen)? I've been searching but i'm really not finding much since most 1st gen sas's just use the stock box. Just looking for ideas really.

I could lift it a couple more inches but I really don't want to do that. My rig is VERY stable as it is now and don't want to mess that up.

RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
Not sure how yours it setup but I had a similar issue. I added a histeer to the passenger side and ran the drag link to the histeer arm and the tierod on the factory knuckle mounts.

CodePoet

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT
I may also be able to "fix" this by adding bumpstops. No...i don't have any right now. How have you all mounted yours? I was thinking about adding them inside the coil, similar to a jeep setup.

RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
My bump stops are inside the coils just like the XJ/TJ setup.

001.jpg