1st gen side moulding removal pics? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1st gen side moulding removal pics?

Does anyone here have before and after pics of the removal of the side moulding and pinstriping on a 1st gen? Also does anyone have the best way to remove both? I have a heard heatgun (which I have), but was wondering what you guys had done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The side moulding can be taken off with fishing line slid in between the body and the moulding. Take your time, and it will come off.. Section525 has some good before and after pictures, search for "side moulding-gone"

I'm in the middle of removing mine now. I'll look to see if I can find some pics. Heat Gun works very easy, then I used Go-gone to remove any remaining adhesive then a good wash. Most guys would follow up with a wax job but I'm about to install fiberglass on the rear this weekend and paint shortly anyway.

anyone ever hear of using fishing line for the moulding? Anyone got pics of a 1st gen before and after?

Bah, I see you tried searching, as did I. It is out there somewhere. Do you just want a comparison shot of no moulding to one with? I have that...

Here, the one had moulding from the factory, the other didn't. They rolled off together on the assembly line at Ford that way.

Attachments

• p91100742xs.jpg
    p91100742xs.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 498

What if?

What if all Explorers did not come with side mouldings and someone here, say, James T., came up with the idea to put them on and showed you the picture above- would you like it then?

Just a thought...:)

Personnaly, I liked the side molding, just not the factory pin stripe. I'm only removing the molding because my front fenders don't have molding anymore due to fiberglass and my rear fenders and doors will be covered in fiberglass also. My front bumper has been removed so that doesn't tie in either. That would leave my front doors and rear bumper with that black molding. That would look dumb, besides the rear bumper will be replaced later this year anyway.

for what its worth i like the molding also!

I for one, like that moulding. It does look better IMO. Most streeters like the "shaved" type look though.

Back