• Register Today It's free!

1st gen suspension tuning

hubbard

Reaction score
City, State
acton, ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
As the owner of a 1994 4x4 Explorer, I am attempting to piece together all I have learned on this site to better the ride of my Explorer. I know there is a huge amount of info on shocks, leaf springs, coil springs, etc. My quest is to put together the combination of suspension improvements to improve my off-highway ride.
I live a mile on a slightly rough, washboard dirt road and the jarring ride of the Explorer is very discouraging. I imagine the ride improvement won't be accomplished with a one component fix, so I am asking for advice on the proper combination of suspension improvements to make for the best ride possible on my dirt road and anywhere else off-road I may go.
I am interested in only a mild amount of lift, say around 2 inches. What blend of shocks, springs, bushings, etc. would work together to give the best dirt road ride possible? The suspension is all original other than some Monroe Sensa-a-trac shocks which were installed quite a while ago by the original owner.

Thanks,
Paul

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Personally, I'd focus on the shocks. The Rancho 9000s (or whatever they are called now) come to mind because they are adjustable with a turn of a knob. If you do go with the 9000s, you probably want to aim for some low number (in other words, 'soft').

I hated my 9000s, those things rattled like mad.

You want a good gas-charged shock if dirt-road performance is of concern.
Go with Bilsteins.

So maybe with new Rancho 9000's or Bilstein shocks and a disconnected rear sway bar(the ride in rear is worse than the front) I should see a difference? And what about new bushings for the rear leaf springs. Have people noticed a better ride with new bushings and would rubber ones be preferred?

I disconnected the rear anti-sway bar and took the Explorer for a test run and it does seem the rear ride is better than before. I now notice the front has the harsher ride but, from what I have read, disconnecting the front anti-sway bar should be approached with caution or not attempted at all if any street driving is part of the plan. Well, I am glad I took a first step toward this and my next move will be new shocks.

Back