• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1st gen. system install?

GunnerSchenck

Reaction score
City, State
Sugar Grove, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer EB
i have a 1992 explorer eddie bauer and have a system i want to install. to install my subs and amp, do i have to buy an amp bypass for the stock amp or no? ive installed a few before but never had to bypass a stock amp so i'm rendered clueless when it comes to this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Bruces expo

Reaction score
City, State
Middle GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Mazda Navajo
It all depends if your keeping the Stock head Unit if you need the amp bypass kit , If your wiring in a aftermarket head unit you Should only need the wiring harness for the power and for the speakers , Just My Thought

jimster502

Reaction score
City, State
socal
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
Yup what he said ^^ . If your going to change the stereo, then you need to buy a wiring harness. I have a 97 xlt with the jbl system, but when I decided to change the stereo, I had to buy a wiring harness that I had to run from all the way from the back from where the amp was to the location of the stereo. It wasnt really hard though. And this wiring harness I bought bypassed the amp & sub so I just threw that out

GunnerSchenck

Reaction score
City, State
Sugar Grove, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer EB
well i need one that bypasses the stock amp because i am putting a new head unit in it and taking the system out of my old car and putting it in this(new amp and subs)

jimster502

Reaction score
City, State
socal
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
Look man this is what I bought when I installed my new headunit. I bought it for $27 + shipping which totaled for around $36 from Amazon. Right now its going for $28 but with free shipping on Amazon. Now I dont know if theres a cheaper harness but I like this one because its what it was recommended by crutchfield and it also came with the whole antennae cable.

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-5601...1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1334469866&sr=8-2-fkmr0