1st Gen Timing Chain Replacement

Yankee516

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT, 99 5.0L AWD
Evening folks,

In the process of my first A4LD rebuild on a stock '94 Explorer. Anyone know if the pushrod model also has a rear timing chain that I can replace while I am in there with just the transmission out? Had to do the chain on my '99 5.0L which was easier since it was only the front (see Count Frankencork thread). Not sure if the pushrod version has a rear chain like I've heard the SOHC model does, and the Haynes manual is unclear. Just trying to take care of as much as I can while the tranny is out and the rear is accessible.

Appreciate the help!

--Phil

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your 4.0l OHV has only 1 timing chain. Its in the front of the engine like the 5.0l .

how long do those timing chains last?

Usually the life of the engine. They have a hydraulic tensioner that's pressurized by the engine oil to take up the slack.
I picked up a 95 Ex dirt cheap with 75k miles with the key sheared off the cam sprocket.... so going by just the 4.0Ls I've owned, you've got a 1 in 10 chance of it lasting 200k miles.

mine has 220,000 miles and i don't know if the chain has ever been serviced.. i might change it since i will be in that area anyway.

Back