1st gen to new sport trac seat upgrade | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1st gen to new sport trac seat upgrade

fishnhunt18

Reaction score
City, State
pearl city, hi
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer 4X$
i just bought some seats from a new sport trac. not sure about the year but i kn0w that certain years (91-01 ex and 02-05 sport tracs) would fit. i already installed the passenger and it fits like a glove. i am not sure about the wiring however and the new seats are heated with a different electrical connector and schematic. how do i make the seats fully functional? utilize fuse panel w/ 20/30 amp and splice with other wires or just splice the existing two wires from my 92 ex electrical connector?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You definitely need to run new wires and relays for the heaters, they pull too much current. I don't think the motors will draw higher amps than the 92, so you just have to figure out what gets hooked up to where.

Be sure and document everything so you can share with the rest of us.

Don't forget pics of the install, as well as of the diagrams that you end up using.

Great idea, btw! The Beast's front seats will need help in the worst way soon, so keep us updated!

You can get away with using the gen1 seat track and swap the wiring over to the ST control panel. I did this with my Mounty seats. No heat though.

now i have another issue. not sure what is going on, but the rear 60 bench comes to the down position all the time. i can still fold it, but when i release so does the bench. i've read some stuff about the cable/wire, but i'm not sure what is keeping it down. any ideas?

So, they are all installed. As far as the wiring goes, there was no fuse and relay necessary. When I took apart the old eddie bauer wiring harness, the factory had just spliced wires for power to the switches. I know it was the factory because of the way it was wrapped and marked. Anyway the blue was the power and the white/blue was ground, so I ran the two blue wires to yellow/blue and green, and ran the white/blue to black and red. Hooked them up and everything worked immediately. I turned the key and tested all of my electrical switches and everything worked - nothing funky.

The other part is the rear bench. Still not fixed.

Back