1st gen X's with clutch's, have you experienced this problem? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1st gen X's with clutch's, have you experienced this problem?

AlaskanJack

Elite Cabin-Fever Captain
Reaction score
City, State
Centralia, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 , 93 & 01 Sports
I keep breaking these little round retaining clips that hold the hydraulic push rod for the clutch to the clutch arm. Such a PITA. This little plastic clip costs like 5.85 at the dealership and is worth about .05.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution to improve the connection. I got back under there and looked at it without much in the way of good ides. Maybe a couple of grooves and a c-ring, but I would have to pull the pedal arm out and grind the grooves in there.

I can't be the only one that this is happening to. I have replaced 5 of these in 1.5 yrs. Its kind of dangerous driving then looking down and seeing your clutch pedal on the floor. Just have to synchro shift into nuetral and find a place to open door fully to reattach. Of course the first time it happened I froze and ended up on an off ramp doing the herky jerky until the engine died. I couldn't get it into nuetral.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Which part????

the plastic collar bearing that the plunger pivots on,
or the clip that holds the plunger to the pedal???

I never broke one and I went through 4 or 5 master cylinders when my truck was a stick.

I would guess either your pedal has excessive play or your master clyinder is getting worn.....

Originally posted by 410Fortune
Which part????

the plastic collar bearing that the plunger pivots on,
or the clip that holds the plunger to the pedal???

I never broke one and I went through 4 or 5 master cylinders when my truck was a stick.

I would guess either your pedal has excessive play or your master clyinder is getting worn.....

the clip that holds the plunger to the pedal.
Master cylinder is great, don't jinx me! ha!

So you never broke that plastic clip?

no, I know what you are tlaking about and it should break under normal use, seems like an alignement with teh pedal/linkage........

Well I guess, but maybe its just me. I may push diagonally with my foot and not directly down. Who knows. I am going to remove the arm andcut a few grooves in each side and use a c-ring clip.

The plunger does not come out of the master cylinder without taking the master apart or breaking it, so be careful!

The pedal assembly comes out quite easily actually, it is just a PITA to get your head under there, sometimes it is even easier to just bite the bullet and remove the drivers seat..........

The plunger is jsut fine and I don't plan on removing it. It is the other connection that I have to deal with. I agree it is a PITA. I have removed the seat to get to it before and I will probably do it again to remove the pedal arm. I don't even plan on touching the plunger except to disconnect it from the pedal arm.

Back