• Register Today It's free!

1st SAS Explorer Project

flash14

Reaction score
City, State
miami fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 xlt
I've been looking to do this for a while and so far I have collected some parts and a 99 Explorer 4.0 xlt. For the front I have a Dana 44 hp complete with RA's, spring buckets, trac bar, springs, and shock mount from a 70's F150, For the rear I got a 9.75 with leafs from a 2003 F150 Lightning.

I need to build this X high enough to clear at least 40" tire's. Why you ask, cause the only place's to go have fun down here in S. Florida is in the Mud.

I have seen that alot of you guy use 5.5 spring in the front with SOA in the rear with stock leafs and clear 37/38" tire's and I can't believe it.

I'm not sure what coils to use in the front yet but for the rear I was thinking of doing a SOA using 4" springs but I'm affraid it might be to much lift. Any help and idea's would be GREAT.

Here's a pic.

forsale014.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This must be to hard of a topic for you guys. THANKS!

there are a ton of sas threads on the forums, from a 91 all the way to a 2006 i believe,
look in the forum subsections to find one of the year or Generation of yours to find some good material,
in the 2nd gen forum, one to look at would be Section 525's sas, or maybe check here,

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63

there are a ton of sas threads on the forums, from a 91 all the way to a 2006 i believe

I've never seen a 3rd gen SAS but this has me intrigued!
/threadjack

lookin forward to seeing a 2nd gen on 40s, good luck with the build!

Thanks for the replys. Most of the build spec's only mention soa for the rear or hybrid leafs. Has anyone done a soa using 4" leafs?

Today I installed the 4" leafs SOA, 1.5" shackles, and the 9.75 w 4:10s and trac-lok. It took me about 3 hrs. I will tackle the front soon.

rearlift003.jpg

rearlift006.jpg

rearlift012.jpg

rearlift013.jpg

rearlift016.jpg

rearlift015.jpg

That is going to be a monster! Nice work so far!!

Are you going to run different wheels? Metric lug on the back and 5 on 5.5 up front?

Cool build :thumbsup:

Thanks 525, a few Ex's on this site including yours inspired me. I'll be running M/T's 15x12's 5 x5.5. Not sure if I will redrill the axle's or run adapters. I need to check if the wheels will clear the rear calipers first.

The plan is to run 39.5x18x15 Boggers, but if possible 44's.

that thing is ginormous already

holyyyyyyyyyy poop this thing gonna be big. Can't wait to see more progress. Great job!

I would run wheel adapters. The rear axle will be narrower then the 44. What gears are you going with? 410's and the 4.0 will not spin 40" tires. Not sure how high the ratio goes for the 9.75.

Also.. Who told you the 9.75 had a trac loc? Or are you going to install some kind of LS later?

I would run wheel adapters. The rear axle will be narrower then the 44. What gears are you going with? 410's and the 4.0 will not spin 40" tires. Not sure how high the ratio goes for the 9.75.

Also.. Who told you the 9.75 had a trac loc? Or are you going to install some kind of LS later?

Being that this rear is out of a 2003 Ford SVT Lightning it came with traction lock from what I had read.

For reference, I have the SOA with sagging stock springs (probably about ~5" lift) and 35s in this pic. The tire next to my truck is a 40" MTR.

40s.jpg

Good luck with the build. :thumbsup: :cool:

If you do with 44's that d44 isn't going to hold up to long, but then again its only for mud so it might be fine.

Any advise from the coil spung group on setting up the front end would be NICE!:salute:

Run a 5.5" lift early Bronco coil with bronco/F150 coil towers. The towers will need to be dropped down on the frame to match your rear lift. Tack them on real good and get it sitting on all 4 tires so you can check before you finish weld them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks:thumbsup:. Thats sounds like the plan. If all goes well I'll be cutting the front end off with a buddys plasma cutter tomorrow. I'll post pic's if I do.

Back