2.0 eco rattle | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2.0 eco rattle

Does anybody know if there is a step by step video on how to change out a turbo online?
Welcome to the Forum Adam.:wave:
Good luck with the repair.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Axle must come out. No special tools, be sure to replace the axle but and trans seal when reassembling. Drain and measure trans fluid, should not be more than 6 Quarts, but you don’t want to over fill during reassembly, there is no way to tell how much it has in it.

Coolant reservoir is correct. Fill it as indicated. And check again after a thermal cycle.

Don’t skip the cold air ducting or the axle. Just not worth it. Big job but mostly just a lot of small steps in sequence. Good luck

No need to remove the Axle especially if the carrier housing is cracked (or like in my case broken) but in the infamous words of the Hyndai squirrel guy tech You don't have to remove the CV axle. BUT IT HELPS. Mind you, mine was also not fully in the transmission because of the cracked mount. No need to drain the transmission fluid to remove the axle I wound up adding very little to bring it up to completely full AFTER putting my axle back in and having driven it who knows how long with that broken mount an that axle leaking and slinging it out. wasn't very low. The full transmission when not in gear/motion is below the axle in the pan the rest of whatever is used pumped is circulated around but the reservoir amount is still at axle level or below. So, no need to drain. You can do it, it won't hurt you will probably be due for a change when you do this.
Again you don't have to remove the Axle but it... just watch the video

Assuming average skill level...having the axle out, the hub also out of the way. Big help... especially if your one handed... But then again I’m old, turbos didn’t exist in cars when I was turning wrenches for a living... except in some really old stuff like Packard and the monsters of the early years

That said, wish I would have traded it in.

Having the same issue here with the rattling on my 2012 Explorer 2.0 115k miles. Brought it into the dealer to have it inspected. Turbo is shot and needs to be replaced. Service guy is also stating the catalytic converter needs to be replaced because the original will not work with the new turbo. Anyone else run into this? Thanks in advance

.........Service guy is also stating the catalytic converter needs to be replaced because the original will not work with the new turbo. Anyone else run into this? Thanks in advance
Haven't heard that one before.:dunno:

Peter

Back