2.0 Ecoboost wastegate death rattle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2.0 Ecoboost wastegate death rattle

dhonnoll

Reaction score
City, State
Nesbit, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited
I recently bought a 2013 2.0 Ecoboost. The fuel economy was never quite right on the highway. I noticed it would rattle at start up for 30 sec then stop, and it would ping when I let off the accelerator for a bit. Figured it was a loose heat shroud or something no, I have the EB death rattle of the wastegate. I drove it like I stole it from Horn Lake, MS to Atlanta and got an error P0299 I noticed with cruise set going DOWNHILL it would downshift NOT to keep from gaining speed but to actually pick up lost 5-7mph of speed. On the way back I got 27 or 28 MPG from Atlanta to Birmingham, then from Birmingham to Jasper it dropped a bit after Jasper it would hunt for gears, downshift going downhill to regain speed. no CEL (I had cleared it) but clearly a wastgate or lack of boost issue. Does anyone know of a rebuild kit for our turbos or particularly a rebuild kit for the wastgate? I don't want to buy a new one but will if I have to. Sux that it only lasted 5 years 93,000 miles. I see now why it was traded someone did not want to invest in a turbo and likely would not have done the work his self.

Any update on this issue?

Peter

I recently bought a 2013 2.0 Ecoboost. The fuel economy was never quite right on the highway. I noticed it would rattle at start up for 30 sec then stop, and it would ping when I let off the accelerator for a bit. Figured it was a loose heat shroud or something no, I have the EB death rattle of the wastegate. I drove it like I stole it from Horn Lake, MS to Atlanta and got an error P0299 I noticed with cruise set going DOWNHILL it would downshift NOT to keep from gaining speed but to actually pick up lost 5-7mph of speed. On the way back I got 27 or 28 MPG from Atlanta to Birmingham, then from Birmingham to Jasper it dropped a bit after Jasper it would hunt for gears, downshift going downhill to regain speed. no CEL (I had cleared it) but clearly a wastgate or lack of boost issue. Does anyone know of a rebuild kit for our turbos or particularly a rebuild kit for the wastgate? I don't want to buy a new one but will if I have to. Sux that it only lasted 5 years 93,000 miles. I see now why it was traded someone did not want to invest in a turbo and likely would not have done the work his self.
I have exactly the same vechile, Limited trim. My turbo died right around the same mileage! Lucky had warranty. Dealer replaced it.

Back