2.0L Ecoboost and oil turning black | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2.0L Ecoboost and oil turning black

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
This is a question regarding the 2.0L Ecoboost engine. Is it the characteristic of a turbocharged vehicle to have the oil turn extremely black so early on? At about 5,000 miles city driving, my oil is basically all black. I had the oil changed before with Mobil 1 5W-30 full synthetic and the mechanic threw in an aftermarket oil filter (This was not done at the dealership).

I am wondering if this is just normal and should i get it changed even though the oil life monitoring doesn't tell me to change it or could it be that the oil filter is not filtering things properly?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oil Turning Black

Oil turning black is normal under any condition and is not an indicator of any problems. The only true indicator of a problem is to test the oil. The Ford oil life indicator monitors a few common driving conditions and determines the oil life based on using the synthetic blend oil minimum standard oil spec. For a turbo I would recommend full synthetic due to higher oil temps you would see from the oil lubricating the turbo. If you change the oil within the manufacturer recommended range you should not have any problems. The mobil one oil is good for your turbo but I would recommend you have them use a mobil one oil filter or at least the motorcraft filter that you can buy at many places and are less expensive than some premium filters. If the aftermarket filter costs less than the motorcraft filter I would not use it because its probably inferior to the motorcraft filter.

I change my oil way earlier than I'm supposed to. Then again, I get more than 200,000 miles out my cars too... :)

While I agree that a good filter is important and I would avoid the Speed Quickie brands it will not have any effect on the color of the motor oil.

I'm taking it to the dealership to get the oil changed and I'm going to buy the filter for it on my own. Can anyone tell me how I can look up what filter type is required for my car? I can't find it in the owners manual.

12318.jpg

If a Ford dealer is changing the oil they should be using Motorcraft filters and fluids. It is the independent lube shops that you have to be leary of using a cheap sub par filter.

And to be clear from my previous posts black oil can not be cleared up with filters or using specific oil brands or even additives.

Back