2-1 downshift flare on 5R55E, TCC/EPC? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2-1 downshift flare on 5R55E, TCC/EPC?

mp223

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 EB SOHC
Hi all, 1999 5r55e with 150K on the clock, fluid replaced at ~75k and again with a filter at ~140k. Otherwise all original.

When slowing down to stop I'll get a bump in RPMs when the transmission shifts from 2-1, eg: foot off accelerator and on brake, 1000 RPM -> 1500 RPM -> downshift 2-1 -> RPM drop to ~600 while stopped and idling.

I tried searching but only came across 2-3 flare issues. Could this be a symptom of my TCC or EPC solenoids going? Also, how likely is the IAC causing this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may want to clean the throttle body, and check the associated linkage i.e. accelerator cable. Do a TPS test also.

drdoom: Throttle body was cleaned thoroughly a couple of months ago. Throttle cable is tight, TPS read 0.97v at idle and 4.something at WOT. I'm gonna pickup a couple of junkyard IACs and see what that does, my idle has always been low at ~500rpm and I wondered if the IAC malfunctioning could cause a jump in RPM in specific circumstances.

BrooklynBay: I'm getting conflicting information, do I have to drop the pan to check the servo pistons? Is there a particular servo I should be checking, perhaps a picture? I will try the band adjustment first.

There are two servos on the side of the transmission which usually dry out. The one in the pan is much cooler so I wouldn't worry about the seals on it. The bands should be adjusted after the servos are replaced. Keep in mind that both servos are a different diameter, and the internal springs on each one have a different amount of tension. Do one at a time to avoid confusion.

Back