• Register Today It's free!

2.11 killed bluetooth audio

GregV8

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
I use my iPhone for bluetooth audio streaming on my daily commute. (Pandora mostly..)
Had 2.11 installed last week. BT still worked but soon the connection started to drop frequently - to the point where it's no longer connecting at all. I am no longer able to play BT audio. I select the source, it connects for a fraction of a second, then it immediately says "disconnected" and that's it.
And by the way, as of yesterday, my iPod over USB stopped working too. It connects but does not play anything.
I did several resets including battery disconnect in the past few days as I was troubleshooting. I'm stuck.
Anyone else?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use my iPhone for bluetooth audio streaming on my daily commute. (Pandora mostly..)
Had 2.11 installed last week. BT still worked but soon the connection started to drop frequently - to the point where it's no longer connecting at all. I am no longer able to play BT audio. I select the source, it connects for a fraction of a second, then it immediately says "disconnected" and that's it.
And by the way, as of yesterday, my iPod over USB stopped working too. It connects but does not play anything.
I did several resets including battery disconnect in the past few days as I was troubleshooting. I'm stuck.
Anyone else?

ugh...that sucks to hear. I was having that exact same issue with v 2.8 using a Motorola Droid X and HTC Incredible phone. I was anxiously considering upgrading to 2.11 but now i'm not so sure. Fortunately my issue seemed to be phone related for the most part....pulling the phone battery resolved the issue. But I think the MFT is also partly to blame. I've owned 3 bluetooth headsets that paired to any phone without any problems, why can't my Explorer do the same?

Anyone else?

Try resetting your phone and repairing.

Try resetting your phone and repairing.

I had the same disconnecting issue with mine a while back (v. 2.8 and iPhone 3GS) and nothing worked (reset, repair, etc) for 2 days. Right before taking it to the dealership to get it looked at, it started working again. Now, it mostly works but sometimes bluetooth stereo doesn't work, sometimes usb doesn't work but bluetooth does and sometimes neither works. The weird thing is the phone part of it always worked (until yesterday when the phone mysteriously refused to work or pair again for the first time).

Since I have other problems that pop up occasionally (but not all the time) and I don't want to spend my life explaining to service people how it wasn't working this morning and how I don't know how to duplicate the problem now so they can check it, I figure I will just wait till the next major release (3.x) and live with the bugs and errors (and the smirks and laughs from my Lexus loving wife and now my former Ford loving son) till then (especially since many of the same bugs I have apparently still exist with 2.11).

I really like everything about the Ex except MFT (at least enough people know about it now via professional reviews, CR and decreased customer sat numbers that I believe Ford is paying serious attention to fixing it).

Just an update, just like Rocketfan, mine started working right before taking it to the dealer (again), and has been working since.
But just FYI, it was exactly the same experience: phone calls over BT was fine, but BT stereo was not (A2DP).
I will keep using it until it breaks down again.

Just an update, just like Rocketfan, mine started working right before taking it to the dealer (again), and has been working since.
But just FYI, it was exactly the same experience: phone calls over BT was fine, but BT stereo was not (A2DP).
I will keep using it until it breaks down again.

It could be the iPhone. I did a search on bing for bluetooth streaming audio iphone problems and turned up hits from people with iPhone streaming issues with Audi, Chrysler, and Toyota. Didn't do much research to see if they are experiencing the same problem, but I do seem to note that a lot of problems with MFT are problems with MFT and Apple products.

One more tip I will offer - try turning WIFI on your phone OFF. WiFi and bluetooth may operate on the same frequency bands and interfere with each other.

It could be the iPhone. I did a search on bing for bluetooth streaming audio iphone problems and turned up hits from people with iPhone streaming issues with Audi, Chrysler, and Toyota. Didn't do much research to see if they are experiencing the same problem, but I do seem to note that a lot of problems with MFT are problems with MFT and Apple products.

One more tip I will offer - try turning WIFI on your phone OFF. WiFi and bluetooth may operate on the same frequency bands and interfere with each other.

I agree that it could be an iPhone issue with Bluetooth streaming but my USB not working (when bluetooth stereo does) or neither working probably is not just Apple. Given the well recognized MFT issues, I am pretty sure part of the responsibility lies sadly with Ford (I love Ford but this all the MFT stuff is really trying my patience).

Back