2.3 EcoBoost, tuning? Performance? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2.3 EcoBoost, tuning? Performance?

metroplex

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
Anyone here run the 2.3 engine in their 16up Explorer? It seems to be slower than the 3.5 base V6 but I often wondered what it could do with an E30 tune. should I have gone with the 2.3 instead of the 3.5?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Livernois has a tune for your NA 3.5. Might give you that extra pep you're looking for.

They probably just added some spark advance at WOT especially for the E85. I could do that myself, am waiting for hptuners support on the 2018. Looks like Ford went speed density on the 16-up so no more MAF sensors.

But I was curious if anyone had the 2.3 and got that tuned? Max airflow for the 2.3 on the Mustang Eco seems to be about 43 lb/min but I don't recall any of the Mustang Eco being tuned to over 400 hp with stock turbos.

I know they've tuned the Mustang, Focus RS and Lincoln MKC 2.3's, but can't say about the Explorer. From the gains the 2.3 has shown, a tuned one in the explorer would certainly be more exciting than a tuned NA 3.5.

Their tuned NA 3.5 gained decent power throughout the RPM IIRC.

I'm just wondering if it was better for me to have gotten the 2.3 EcoBoost instead, but talking to the Mustang EcoBoost owners, the stock turbo/intercooler/fueling setup only allows for about 300 whp and up to 340 whp with some mods. I haven't been able to pull my stock 18 Explorer tune to see where it can be improved, but with a bump in spark advance with E85 fueling, I think 300 whp is feasible if not a very close target. It won't be as fast as a tuned Explorer Sport, but it should run in the mid 15s.

Anyone here run the 2.3 engine in their 16up Explorer? It seems to be slower than the 3.5 base V6 but I often wondered what it could do with an E30 tune. should I have gone with the 2.3 instead of the 3.5?

I have a 17' 4wd with the 2.3 and have been pleased with the power output for a stock vehicle. i test drove both the 2.3 & the 3.5 NA before purchasing and felt the 2.3 was better in the performance area. Plus i think the 3.51 gearing helps that comes standard on the 4wd. Not planning on doing much till after extended warranty & service plan run out.

I have a 17 with the 2.3L and feel its pretty good performance wise. I have never driven a turbo before this vehicle but there appears to be a slight turbo lag but you can definitely feel(and hear) when the turbo kicks in for sure. You start pulling big time. I'd be interested in a tune as well. But for it was does now, I am happy.

Back