2-3" lift SOA

lonestar

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
lou,ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT, 02 XLS
Is there any way to do a SOA and get 3" lift or less. I would like to have a about a 2" lift for some 31's, but my main objective would be to get thre springs and those dumb shock mounts over the axle.

Rangers have the SOA, but they don't sit up 5.5" higher than an X. Would it be possible to use the springs from a Ranger and shorter shackles?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rangers have tension type shackles I believe, the spring mount is above the frame mount (outside the frame) The stock springs are actually close to the same. The best bet would be to use everything stock and just take out as many springs as necessary. I have stock springs and stock length shackles, no overload spring in, and it matches perfectly to 4" in the front. You really can't go shorter shackles than stock, and you might be able to find some lowered springs, but I'm not sure. You could change your shocks over to the swaybar and get a generic flat u-bolt plate and cut the ubolts off at the nut to get some ground clearance in a SUA setup. Look in the Explorer Projects folder, there is a guy LD50 or something that has a really long (and good) thread about all his mods, including rear ground clearance I think, with pictures.

shackles and spacers costed me 53 dollars over all.

Chase

shackles and spacers to do what...

Not really fond of removing springs from the stock pack. I wouldn't want to lose towing or load capabilities, or make it too soft.

I was hopig that I could use springs with less arch.

400lbs of bricks should do the trick ;)

Originally posted by AdamsGuitar
400lbs of bricks should do the trick ;)
Get real, talk about MPG killer..

Isn't there anyway to so a SOA and use flatter leafs, with less arch? Or possibly use a ranger main leaf, and the rest of a X pack, kinda like a Zimmerman mod.
I have seen leafs used to lower an X. Aren't they flatter?
I just want a SOA to relocated the leafs and shock mounts, and about a 2" lift to fit 31's without fear of rubbing, maybe 32's..

Yeah, should work with lowering springs. Just more $$$ but it'll definitely get the job done.

Couldnt you buy lowered springs for a ranger/explorer? A 3" lowering spring pack would put you at about 2.5" of lift with an SOA. Just a thought...

-Justin

There are some things I just don't understand... and this is one of them. Why would one go so far as lowering springs in an SOA setting. Do it right, for the height you want, get add a leaves and shackles. Yer truck will be higher in the rear... cause i do believe unless ya change a few things up front, all you're gonna get is 1in spacers.

After all of the wheeling I have done, my original 2" Warrior shackle/addaleaf lift has flattened out to nothing.

I am seriously considering keeping my worn out flattened leaf springs, removing the addaleaf, and removing the Warrior shackles and going down to Explorer Sport original length shackles. Then go SOA: which theoretically should equal about 2.5" lift or so. Why? Better flex with flatter springs and getting the lowhanging shock perches out of the way.

Originally posted by JMT1SOMR
A 3" lowering spring pack would put you at about 2.5" of lift with an SOA. Just a thought...-Justin
Thats what I thought, just looking for opinions.. I guess these would work
Dead Link Removed

I wonder what the spring rate is? if it is progressive? Or how the spring rate would compare to 4dr 4x4 spring pack?

Now I need to look for a 2.5" lift in the front.

Why would one go so far as lowering springs in an SOA
To get the benefits of a SOA without the 5.5" lift.

Well, I just decided to call. All they could tell me is the carrying capacity is 15-20% less. Ouch. not what I wanted to hear.

So, where could I find 3" lowering leaf pack with the same (or closer than 15-20%) spring rate and load carrying capacity?

Originally posted by GJarrett
I am seriously considering keeping my worn out flattened leaf springs, removing the addaleaf, and removing the Warrior shackles and going down to Explorer Sport original length shackles. Then go SOA: which theoretically should equal about 2.5" lift or so. Why? Better flex with flatter springs and getting the lowhanging shock perches out of the way.

Thats exactly what Im going to do with mine. I only need 4" or so of lift, but Im going to take out the AALs and the overload spring, and maybe the smallest leaf, and I figure I will be around 4".

The big benefits are the better flex, and the shocks get moved up and out of the way. AAL are really, really bad for any kind of flex.

Im only worried about axle wrap- still working on that one. A center monuted traction bar may be a solution.

Not sure, but wouldn't sport springs, with just spring perches, and possibly removing over load work?, It would be awfully flexy:p

Back