2-3 shift/no engine braking 1st/TSB 03-22-10 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2-3 shift/no engine braking 1st/TSB 03-22-10

You're right. Now that I re-read the post, it does sound a bit critical. However, I made a note on my order stating that I was accomplishing TSB 03-22-10 on a '97 Ranger and asked FPN Sales to holler if the parts looked incorrect. No response. I'm working with them now to see what we can do about it.

In the meantime, are there any experts that know which plates have bonded gaskets and which do not?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I doubt anyone here is "expert" on this subject (except maybe Eneurb, and he hasn't been around for a while). From what I understand the 96's and 97's as a general rule used gaskets (I did a 97 and IT used gaskets) starting in 98 they were more or less all (?) bonded gaskets. I'll be ordering the 98 very soon and I'll see if it uses bonded gaskets and post here.

[ps. It is easy to confuse a parts person with a service writer. Parts is parts, numbers etc. Application - correct parts - is more (admittedly not exclusively) up to the service writer/mechanic types.]

95/96 Models ONLY
95/97 Models Separator Plate to Case Gasket 1 2L5Z-7C155-AA ALL
95/97 Models Separator Plate to Main Control Gasket 1 2L5Z-7D100-BA ALL
I'm restating the obvious here, but the heading "95/96 Models ONLY" must be a typo, as the gasket numbers both refer to 95/97 models. As Glacier states, the bonded gaskets must have started with the 98 models. (Unless there was indeed a mid-year change in 97.) This has to be a mystery for the ages, because I don't see any reason for not supplying all the revised plates with bonded gaskets.

My 2000 came stock with individual gaskets, and the revised plate had bonded gaskets. I really don't know if one type is better than the other, but the bonded assembly is probably easier to align during reassembly.....

ROE

For archive's sake, here's an end to the story.

The replacement separator plate for my '97 XLT 4x4 did not come with a bonded gasket nor are versions with a bonded gasket available for that year as far as I can tell. I had to order the gasket separately.

The TSB did solve my "no engine braking" problem. I discovered that the original gasket was blown out in two places. After adding the replacement parts and the new gasket, the transmission provided magnificient engine braking when a gear was manually selected. Performing the TSB took me about 5 hours but saved me over $500 in parts and labor.

Back