• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

2.3 Sport mode not downshifting

Bender953

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Columbus
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 &
2020 Limited White
Callsign
Bender953
I have a Limited with the 2.3 and notice when using sport mode you can accelerate fine but then while the truck slows down it acts like it is stuck in that gear. Does eventually downshift but hangs on for awhile. Anyone else noticing this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

RickyG

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Limited
Callsign
I
I have a Limited with the 2.3 and notice when using sport mode you can accelerate fine but then while the truck slows down it acts like it is stuck in that gear. Does eventually downshift but hangs on for awhile. Anyone else noticing this?
It might hold the gears longer as you slow down as it does when you're speeding up.
Screenshot_20200220-124455.png

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
That's the whole point of sport mode..keep the rpms up so you are always able to punch it and accelerate hard (keeps you in the powerband)

Adam58

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Yep, mine functions holds gears as well. Unfortunately I occasionally get an uncomfortably hard downshift in Sport mode.

Spacey

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I would think that "Sport" mode should hold lower gears on upshift to allow higher revs, but downshift quickly for the same reason. Holding a higher gear does not increase "sportiness" and seems to be functioning incorrectly.

scottfmc

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Spring Hill, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Limited
Agree with OP. I find myself changing the gear manually sometimes using the paddles because the auto holds on too long.