• Register Today It's free!

2.3L Ecoboost Valve Cover Gasket

mattp321

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Exp Limited 2.3L Eco
I've been searching and searching all over but cannot find the answer. I need to replace the valve cover gasket on my 2017 Explorer with the 2.3L Ecoboost i4 engine.

The actual gasket replacement seems very straightforward - however, there are a couple of pipes running overtop of the area which I believe need to be removed in order to have access to unbolt the valve cover.

One is the large main air pipe coming from the air filter box. This seems to route across to the rear of the engine compartment and then down (presumably to the turbo unit?). The other pipe seems to run from that turbo, up the rear behind the engine, then across the top towards the front of the car and it enters the top front "radiator" area on the passenger side. I am kinda assuming this is the output from the turbo, on its way to the Intercooler. I think this might also be known as the "Charge Air Cooler" "Hot" pipe, or something like that.

I have circled both pipes in red in my photo. I cannot figure out how I would remove these pipes to enable me to change the valve cover gasket. All the other small pipes and wires are pretty obvious as to how to remove them. Also, the first section of the main air pipe looks simple to remove.

Any advice on this job would be appreciated!

EcoboostEngine.jpeg

EcoboostPipes.jpeg

Welcome to the Forum Matt.
Sorry, I can't help with this. The dealer does all my work.

Peter

Back