2.3l rattle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2.3l rattle

Rd111

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016, explorer xlt 2.3l
Have a 2016 2.3l xlt with 22k. Rear differential, drive shaft and PTU replaced. Also leaking transmission since I bought it with 17k in April. Feels like a lemon to me...

At around 30-40mph, 1500 rpm, have a significant rattle while under load (going up hills). Sounds very much like a heat shield. The noise always occurs in 5th gear. Very annoying.

Looking for other 2.3l folks with similar issues with the rattle as dealer says this noise is apparently in all 2.3l...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you get a recording?

Could you be hearing detonation caused by running 87-octane fuel? You can usually hear detonation in the form of audible "knock" that may sound like a rattle to you at 1500 rpm under load. Maybe try a tank of Top Tier 93-octane fuel and see if your rattle goes away?

I vote for heat shield. My 2.3L has no rattle and I use 87 octane and live in WV where there is no flat driving. Put it in Sport Mode and see if that makes a difference.

Could you be hearing detonation caused by running 87-octane fuel? You can usually hear detonation in the form of audible "knock" that may sound like a rattle to you at 1500 rpm under load. Maybe try a tank of Top Tier 93-octane fuel and see if your rattle goes away?

I'll try it. I've heard detonation before, vehicle runs fine at all other rpm and speed combinations. Very specific circumstances when it starts.

I vote for heat shield. My 2.3L has no rattle and I use 87 octane and live in WV where there is no flat driving. Put it in Sport Mode and see if that makes a difference.

Sport mode still causes noise. Are you able to drop in 5th gear go up a small hill? Mine resonates with a metal on metal sound.

Not saying that may not help but doesn't this engine compensate for "knocking" or 'pinging' due to gasoline use? I'm sure I read that it does here somewhere so it shouldn't make any difference which octane one uses. I've used regular in my two Ecoboosts without any issues.

Peter

Not saying that may not help but doesn't this engine compensate for "knocking" or 'pinging' due to gasoline use? I'm sure I read that it does here somewhere so it shouldn't make any difference which octane one uses. I've used regular in my two Ecoboosts without any issues.

Peter

Yes, the ability to compensate for detonation is built into the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) software, but the compensation is limited. The PCM doesn't know the quality of the fuel you're using, so it relies on knock sensors to adjust ignition timing when detonation is detected. This implies the PCM will retard ignition timing just enough to diminish the "knock" such that it's undetectable by the knock sensors.

On a modern turbocharged engine like the 2.3-liter Ecoboost, the PCM is also monitoring many other inputs such as engine temperature, engine speed (RPM), amount of turbo boost, vehicle speed, and transmission gear selection. Thus, the software to minimize detonation is fairly complex, and it's possible that under very specific conditions such as those documented by the original poster in this thread, the software may fail to eliminate knocking or pinging.

The dealer's claim that all 2.3-liter Explorers make this noise supports my theory that there's a bug in the PCM software that allows detonation at a specific speed, under a certain load. If I'm wrong, then perhaps all 2.3-liter Explorers simply have a heat-shield defect.

Was it the grunt grunt grunt noise before the upshift at the tail end?

Hmm... so on mine, I've heard a metallic clash/grunt at times when it's lugging at lower RPMs--as if it were too dumb to drop back a gear.

I'm wondering if that's what is happening here. I don't think it's a heatshield if so. I haven't been able to reproduce that issue in a while, though, especially since I standardized my gas stations a bit.

Hmm... so on mine, I've heard a metallic clash/grunt at times when it's lugging at lower RPMs--as if it were too dumb to drop back a gear.

I'm wondering if that's what is happening here. I don't think it's a heatshield if so. I haven't been able to reproduce that issue in a while, though, especially since I standardized my gas stations a bit.

That confirms dealer commenta then. They also replicated on a 2017. My recommendation to dealer and regional ford rep was that they offer a reprogram of transmission 5th gear shift points. Will hear responses on Wednesday

I heard nothing.

I have the same noise you describe and in your video. Hope there is a fix as the noise is distracting and embarrassing

We have a 2017 XLT with the 2.3 EB and at 13,000 miles it has NOT made any unusual noises like yours. We've run top tier fuels and don't notice any difference between 87, 89 & 93. I did notice that in the ~35-45 mph range the rpm's are between 1300-1400. It does feel like it's on the verge of lugging, but it doesn't. This is in the drive, we've not tried the sport mode yet to see if it makes a difference.

Whimsey

*bump*

Has anyone found out what is causing this rattling noise? I have just started experiencing this issue starting about 15k ago. Sounds exactly like Rd111's video.

*bump*

Has anyone found out what is causing this rattling noise? I have just started experiencing this issue starting about 15k ago. Sounds exactly like Rd111's video.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Have you taken it to the dealer at all for this? Doesn't appear any post here has a definitive answer, assuming there is one.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks

I have taken it to the dealer. They told me that they could not recreate the issue. Not sure how they could miss it.

Back