2 - 4dr driveshaft differences

nak4af

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Bellevue, Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
Had to ask! Couldn't find the answer by doing a search!

I have done the rear SOA to my '93 2 door and the driveshaft is near seperating. Will the 4 door driveshaft of the same year model be the right length to make up the difference. It will only cost $75 for it compared to $350 for a custom driveshaft made localy.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on this??

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd like to know this too...All I know is that 4door driveshafts are a little longer but I don't know exactly how much longer.

Maybe a 4dr owner could measure theirs? Flange to flange would probably work.

Anyone???

well i'll be on lunch here in a half hour i can measure mine, i'll post it when i get back

oh yeah haha mine is longer then yours! :D

I believe some people have done this, put 4 door shafts in their 2 doors and they've been a good match with the SOA.

As mine sits on level groung...I am about 2" short (insert joke here).

So biggs92EB, what was your actual measurement from center "U" joiunt to center "U" joint? The measurement was with your yoke evenly compressed, right?

45 inches from the center of the U joint to the center of the U joint 46 1/2 length overall i do have a 2 inch suspension lift, dont know if that makes a difference

Nak4af As mine sits on level groung...I am about 2" short (insert joke here). 2 iches short of a foot right?
:eek:

YEAH! a foot...RIGHT!

I figured it out!

I went to the junk yard and took some measurements of some driveshafts. The 2door Ex was 36" from both inside yokes. The 4door was 46". Given that the 4door has a 10" longer wheel base, therer is your difference.

Looks like I'll be having mine custom made.

Anyone know if a 4dr SOA has a similar problem? I'm getting ready to do mine and don't want to run into any surprises.

Id like to know too

With the extra 10" wheel base, I don't think it will be as critical. I do know that when I removed my overload and installed the add-a-leaf, the drive shaft seperated when I started to drive. With just the stock spring setup with the SOA, it is right on the boarder of seperating.

Back