• Register Today It's free!

2.9 vs 4.0 M5OD 5 spd

CRMW

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Ab
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
I have an explorer with a 4.0 that I recently aquired, that needs a clutch and third gear is missing. I am having trouble finding another tranny from a 4.0. I did find one from a Ranger with a 2.9 that the seller tells me will bolt right up to the 4.0. Are there any noticable differences in gear ratio's?

Thanks for the info.

Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The older M5OD from the 2.9 will work, however they won't last very long as they are not built for the power of the 4.0. The 5 speed was improved once the 4.0 came out. The ratios should be the same.

jason94sports is right about the power you can look at hp and theres not alot of diffrence its tourqe that make the 4.0 more powerfull

a 1991 ranger whith 2.9 has 140hp and 170 ft lbs of torque
a 1991 ford explorer has a 155hp and 220 ft lbs or torque plus a 1993 explorer has 5 more hp but the same torque.

Plus an explorer weighs more to.

I dont know a whole lot about trannys but i think the diffrence in power and weight might wear it out faster

What years the ranger

i believe any M5OD-R1 will handle like 200 HP max

you should be able to run it behind your 4.0, i dont believe they ever changed the M50D until like 2001 when they came out with the M5OD-R1HD
(HD for HEAVY DUTY)

if it the same as the one in the x then it should be fine i didnt know if for ever redeigned it or not. i dont know why the use all those numbers and letter why not just name them like my crappy old grand am had a hydromatic dont ask me why they called it that

Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure what year the ranger was.

Chris

Back