2 batteries charging off the stock alternator 1993 eddie | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2 batteries charging off the stock alternator 1993 eddie

TimIngram

Reaction score
City, State
Henderson, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Eddie Bauer
My question is can I run 2 batteries from my stock alternator with a solenoid switch so my deep cycle battery can jump my car battery if needed. Basically I want to run my radio, amp, and aftermarket lights off of a deep cycle battery and have that battery charged along with my battery for starting the car etc. I'm just not sure if I can charge both batteries off of a stock alternator or if i will have to buy a new one rated at 130 amps, I'm not sure what the output of the stock alternator is, and I can't seem to find it on the internet or in the manual of the car it's an eddie if that makes a difference also 4x4.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

your stock alternator should be 95 amps if i'm not mistaken. you can charge 2 batteries from one alternator, but it will kinda be a strain on the system. the best way that i can think of discribing it would be think of the alternator as a hose and the batteries as a bucket, you can fill your on bucket with your hose quicker than you could fill 2 buckets with 1 hose

Wow

I have never really thought of it that way, I'm not really looking to charge my batteries off my alternator more like keep them charged. In that case I think ill stick to the stock alternator for now and maybe eventually switch it out for a 130 amp.

For what you described, you need an isolator. That will keep the batteries from draining each other.

A simple one lets one battery stay as the primary (starter) battery and you can run all the normal stuff from the truck on it. The 2nd battery would be your aux battery and that is where you would run amplifiers, inverters etc. That way if you drained the 2nd battery the 1st battery would still have full power.

There are fancy isolators that will allow you to even use the 2nd battery as a way to jump start the 1st by switching a switch. This is assuming the 1st one is the dead one and the 2nd on has a charge.

~Mark

Thats exactly what I want to do if I deplete power from my first battery I want to be able to start my car from the second just in case.

Yes. It's possible. I have done the same thing on my old set up.

I mounted a Stinger 200A Isolator (200A/12v Solenoid) on the inside fender, just above the A/C Fan.

And here is the 2nd battery mounted.

Ryan

Attachments

• IsolatorMount1.jpg
    IsolatorMount1.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 929
  • Battery1.jpg
    Battery1.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 905

^^^
I'm glad you posted that up, how is the stinger working and how do you like the exterior finish quality? I'm slowly collecting parts for my dual setup and next paycheck I plan on purchasing their 500 amp relay. At first it will just be my 200 amp alt, then the stock one is going back on; and I want to have the capability in the system to later upgrade the stock amp with another 200 amp, that's why the massive 500 amp relay, for anyone wondering.

Thanks for that post, the rear sub enclosure is where I wanted to put the deep cycle battery for my lights, amp and deck.

I've been using my stock alt to charge 3 batteries and 2 caps, i have a almost 3000RMS system that i use daily, no problems so far.

I should get an isolator and bigger alt, but yea..

Pics?

I have no idea how to really hook that up though, do you wire to the frame still or not? I think ill try it out next paycheck either way ill post pics on the 8th or 9th.

Back