$2 billion lawsuit against Ford Re: Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

$2 billion lawsuit against Ford Re: Explorer

How did you survive being thrown out of a car's sunroof rolling over at 87 MPH?

When the car went airborn I did too like a pinball. I held myself inside the car with my hands as I was spinning around untill my back was in the sunroof hole rubbing the ground as I slid to a stop. I honestly don't know how I survived.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did a 180 with a stock explorer to avoid a accident and didn't roll. Its the monkeys behind the wheel that cause them to rollover.

Monkeys.
:monkey:+:burnout:= :roll:?

I was driving directly behind a lifted Explorer at highway speed when his left rear tire suddenly blew out. The driver didn't panic, he kept it straight as an arrow and brought it to a safe stop.

Back in high school when I had my 1996, I had a blowout between 50-55 MPH on a semi-limited-access highway. Left rear, too. I didn't have Firestones, however. I had Goodyears. With the 'whup whup' flat sound, I slowed and pulled over. Changed it out in about ten or fifteen minutes and was barely late meeting friends at a Friday's.

Folks who roll these things are morons. If you can't drive it, don't buy it.

Its amazing how the best selling SUV ever has more rollovers than any other according to the lawyers, media and U Haul. Weird, take hundreds of thousands of Explorers, put thousands of unskilled drivers behind the wheel and boom! rollovers. Weird :rolleyes:

I'd like to see a production number comparison for rollovers on all SUV's. I'd wager that most any SUV (truck based) has about the same number of accidents for every hundred on the road.

heck, i've been in an accident where i should have rolled over..but i kept control of the vehicle the entire time..now, i would sue over the ****ty trans..lol

A couple years ago, I almost overshot a turn, braked hard and made a sharp left into a gravel driveway. I was probably doing about 30 going into the turn, and I started sliding sideways a bit. I didn't panic, didn't steer (or pointed the wheels straight) got off the brake, got on the gas and drove out of it. All four wheels stayed solidly planted. People are just stupid.

heck, i've been in an accident where i should have rolled over..but i kept control of the vehicle the entire time..now, i would sue over the ****ty trans..lol

yeah ill second that trans idea lol. people just need to realize a suv isnt a sports car. never will be. ive put mine sideways on concrete to avoid rear-ending some dumba$$ ricer, and all i got was a high number on my g meter. and its true, the more vehicles of that kind on the road, the more stupid find their way to the drivers seat, and theres how the statistic is born. nobody looks that deep. hope the judge does:thumbsup:

Its ridiculous! This is not the same as the Pinto with the gas tank that ruptures when rear-ended. That was Ford's fault. In the case of the Explorer, its all driver error: failure to maintain tire pressure, excessive speed, lack of skill and knowledge of the vehicle. I had the infamous Firestones on my truck, inflated to the specified 26 psi (too low as we now know), but never had any problems with them.

Ford did market the Explorer as a versatile family vehicle, but nobody forced these folks to buy an Explorer instead of a Taurus wagon. The decals and booklet "Four Wheeling with Ford" provided with the Explorer make it clear that it will not handle like a car, but people don't read the manual.

Rollovers in the hands of incompetent drivers undoubtedly was a major factor in Ford's redesign in the 3rd generation, with a lower center of gravity and the IRS with the axle shafts going through the frame.

My nephew drives a Nissan Xterra. Its taller and looks way more top-heavy than my 1st gen Ex. The cars I see most often totally crushed in accidents are Toyota Camrys.

Grrrr!

Bob

Agreed Bob...lets not forget about the Crown Vic gas tanks. A lot of police officers have died or been severely injured because of the tank placement. What's really bad is that Ford is fighting that one where they are at fault, yet they are basically bending over and taking it for the Explorer when in reality, it is one of the most stable vehicles in its class if driven properly.

This is not the same as the Pinto with the gas tank that ruptures when rear-ended. That was Ford's fault.

The chances of the pinto or the crown vic blowing up are slim. I don't think its all that safe, but it would take a real hard lick for the diff to rupture the gas tank.

...it would take a real hard lick for the diff to rupture the gas tank.

That's exactly what's happening with the law enforcement incidents. They are parked on the shoulder, or sometimes in a lane of traffic and someone who is drunk, not paying attention or gets "candlemoth syndrome" plows into them at a highway speeds.

But its easier than you'd think. Before Ford changed the design, there was apparently a sharp edge on the rear bumper that would penetrate the gas tank in a rear end collision. So it wasn't just a matter of the tank rupturing, it was being penetrated.

That would be a hard enough hit. I love pinto's with 302's.

Agreed Bob...lets not forget about the Crown Vic gas tanks. A lot of police officers have died or been severely injured because of the tank placement. What's really bad is that Ford is fighting that one where they are at fault, yet they are basically bending over and taking it for the Explorer when in reality, it is one of the most stable vehicles in its class if driven properly.

I don't that's Ford's fault in any way, shape or form. That can happen to any vehicle that has the gas tank in the back which is a lot. It just so happens that Police cars are put in danger of collisions and have a high risk for them all of the time.

It's bad drivers, not bad tires or bad vehicles, that cause accidents !

I don't think that's Ford's fault in any way, shape or form. That can happen to any vehicle that has the gas tank in the back which is a lot. It just so happens that Police cars are put in danger of collisions and have a high risk for them all of the time.

I see where you are coming from. The problem is that after all the deaths and serious injuries, they made a very easy retrofit to almost completely prevent this from happening. Police cars getting rear ended at high speed didn't start when they came out with that generation of the Crown Vic. Ford puts in HD transmissions, wiring and suspension because they know what patrol cars are subjected to. I just think they should have realized that rear end collisions were a problem as well.

I wonder if there's any way of starting a class action lawsuit against all these lawyers who file frivolous class action lawsuits.

:banghead:

Lame...

As I said in a another thread, "****ty drivers roll vehicles, not flat tires..."

Too true.

after I had put 50k on those Firestones and wore them down to the steal belts, inflated to the TIRE'S rated pressure. I hated those Firestones, but they didn't blow up on me.

I also drove on my Firestones until the belts were showing and didn't have a blowout.

I wouldnt say explorer's roll over that easy. As best I have seen they will slide sideways, not flip..

I'm not to worried about it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

another testimonial:

My sister crashed her 95 Eddie Bauer XLT or the Garden State Parkway at 70 miles an hour into the median, across the highway and down an embankment. The truck was up on two wheels and came down back on all fours... Probably saved her life, and saved her from any serious injuries... Oh and this was with the Firestone wilderness tires mounted on the vehicle.

This lawsuit is absurd

Back