2 cars maybe totaled..... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2 cars maybe totaled.....

Welll one day after listing my explorer for sale iam driving through a shopping center when a guy runs a stop sign and i hit him. He had a stop sign I was just driving down the thru road to get back on the township road when he stops looks at me and goes right as iam about 2 feet from his car. tHE CORNER OF MY BUMPER NAILED HIS DRIVERS DOOR . His door was bent up down in to the drivers seat glass shattered all over my hood none of his airbags went off. (a 2007 accord ex-V6 which I have one just like it which has 8 airbags standard. The drivers side door to the end of his car will need to be replaced and looked like a total to me. My truck will need a bumper, lower valence, fog lights, both headlights, both turn signals, a new hood, new passanger side fender. My car has 130,000 on it and iam trying to figure out whats they will give me on a total? If you thinks it sounds like a total? I was palnning on getting rid of this explorer but after seeing how well it held up to a sedan that has every airbag possible and they still dont go off. It has me thinking. The only thing is i dont have collison, if its my fault, but since this accident wasnt i hope his company will pay for it. The cop basicly ignorred him due to the fact he couldnt speak english and his lincse was from jersey and his car has pa plates ( apprently its his brothers or something we could not figure out what he was saying)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dang do u got pics of the damage

I only have pics of my car right now, but I paln on finding out where the other guys car is at and take pics of that. After we hit I saw his car get pushed side ways glass go all over my car his door and entire all smashed in, I got out expecting to see my explorer atleast half as bad as his, but this is just about all that happened to my car.

012.jpg

013.jpg

011-1.jpg

010-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

015.jpg

014.jpg

017-1.jpg

010-1.jpg

That's not too bad, but it still could be totaled.

Why do you have to replace the headlights and signals? They look fine, just knocked out of place. I could understand replacing the brackets, but the lights look fine.

Good luck with the insurance, although it sounds like you won't have trouble getting payment, provided the other guy has insurance.

there is some fiberglass or metal thing that runs the along the front and bothe sides of lights screw into that, however in the accident when you open the hood you see that all got pushed down and snapped the pastic parts of the headlights and turnsignals that get screwed in.

Sucks that happened man. Been there, done that haha. I remember when I rearended a Dodge Colt with my '91 Explorer (young and stupid) and I pushed her trunk in about halfway, all the damage that was done to my Ex was a bent license plate frame. :) They hold up pretty well.

As far as whether or not it will be totaled, I wouldn't think so with all the more damage that was done, but you can never really know. Depends on which insurance company it is I think.

By the way, why is you username 1997green when your Explorer is red/marroon? :p:

I had a dark green explorer but sold to solidexplorer on the fourms. This red one is my second explorer.

Ummm, Your truck wont be totaled...I was in a fender bender. My X was sandwiched...$3000 dollars later...It was fine...

From what I can see:

Your hood can be fixed...(be its easer to replace)

Your driver light and conner looks fine...

Haha your truck wont be totaled...

In my wreck I had to have front and rear bummers replaced...Back bumper pad. I has to have the frame bent back into shape. Pearl Paint on top of it all. The air bag system looked over and fixed...All factory Ford parts...

what road were you on? I see you have the fred beans plate and they are close by my house. I still rather get my fords for mcafferty. Anyway they will fix it since thats not bad. I can't see your frame being bent but who knows since werid things happen.

I was in montgomeryville where I live driving through a shopping center road located along costco parking lot, they have a stop sign and so does graden golf ( directly across) the guy looked like he slowed down saw me then as I got right in the intersection he decided to go. I have a estimate from my old explorer which I bought damged and it cost $2,x.. to fix at macco. That explorer only needed a drivers door and fender so Iam not sure. Does anyone know what value the insurance companies go by? kbb, nada? The value of truck is only about $3,500 I think or $1,500 on a trade (before accident)

I believe they go by the value of it if it was in perfect condition. Basically the max your truck could be worth, since they really don't have a good way to know if other conditions on it were pre existing or not.

Check this out...

Welll one day after listing my explorer for sale iam driving through a shopping center when a guy runs a stop sign and i hit him. He had a stop sign I was just driving down the thru road to get back on the township road when he stops looks at me and goes right as iam about 2 feet from his car. tHE CORNER OF MY BUMPER NAILED HIS DRIVERS DOOR . His door was bent up down in to the drivers seat glass shattered all over my hood none of his airbags went off. (a 2007 accord ex-V6 which I have one just like it which has 8 airbags standard. The drivers side door to the end of his car will need to be replaced and looked like a total to me. My truck will need a bumper, lower valence, fog lights, both headlights, both turn signals, a new hood, new passanger side fender. My car has 130,000 on it and iam trying to figure out whats they will give me on a total? If you thinks it sounds like a total? I was palnning on getting rid of this explorer but after seeing how well it held up to a sedan that has every airbag possible and they still dont go off. It has me thinking. The only thing is i dont have collison, if its my fault, but since this accident wasnt i hope his company will pay for it. The cop basicly ignorred him due to the fact he couldnt speak english and his lincse was from jersey and his car has pa plates ( apprently its his brothers or something we could not figure out what he was saying)

If the accident occurred on private parking w/stop signs, the cops can't enforce that - it's outside of their jurisdiction, as they say, unless you request that they take a report - it still falls on you. The reason they spoke to you was because you hit him... his language skills didn't matter, because they wanted your story.

If the accident occurred on the street, you still hit him, and the cops have jurisdiction here. But it sounds like you admitted to hitting the other vehicle.

The cops came said its non reportable but wrote up what happend but could not ticket the other driver due to it being a private center. He said he will have a full in a few days and said that it was the other guys fault. I dont know what non reportable means he said it just means because he said he will type up a report when he gets to the station. As for not speaking english I didnt mean that the cop didnt want to talk to him I mean eveyrthignt he guy said I had to repeat it to the officer becuase he couldnt hear well or understand. We already called the insurance companies they said my car will be covered if the cop sayes it was the others fault ( which he said at the sence). There are accidnets at this spot all the time so the cops write reports at this locate all the time. As for who hit who I dont know it happend quick, my front corner is what got hit or did the hitting becuase I did try to avoid it but with oncoming cars I was not able to go all the way in the other lane. Even if the insurance finds someway to avoid it, I can just sue for the value of the truck. Iam just waiting to see what the report sayes.

Wait, you say cops cant enforce the stop sign and all but the cops always hide in that shopping center and another shopping center watching the stop signs and speed? They must be there a reason.

This one first...

Wait, you say cops cant enforce the stop sign and all but the cops always hide in that shopping center and another shopping center watching the stop signs and speed? They must be there a reason.

The cops have to be there because many crimes - non traffic related - happen in these places. But they don't have authority to issue a ticket for running a stop sign - private police/security is a different issue.

Alright well I guess I'll just wait and see what the report sayes.

The second one didn't post...

But my point was that you can't translate the other party's version of the accident to an officer if you are the opposing party. If the officer's report is returned in your favor, and the other party was not offered a translator - the report will be useless.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well within a couple bussiness hours his insurance company called me today and sent out a adjuster to look at my car. I have 3 estimates from $2,600 to $3,200 the adjuster said the car is not driveable and I can get a rental car when ever I want to. He took pics of the car inside and out looked to see how clean everything was, looked for any other damage around the car checked to see how all 4 tires are. I think the value of car is only about $4,300 so Iam surprised they are going to fix it.

Back