How to: - 2 DOOR Fuel Pump Access Hole Installation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 2 DOOR Fuel Pump Access Hole Installation

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

ExploredOnce

Reaction score
City, State
Yorktown, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport 2dr
I am making this post because going into doing my fuel pump installation, I could not find a thread on how to successfully cut an access panel for the fuel pump in a 2 DOOR explorer.

So, I will try to keep this as short and simple as possible because I know whoever needs this thread as a template is probably tired of searching and just ready to get it done.

First off, check to make sure you are getting power back to the pump by unplugging the main plug, under the truck, in front of the rear axle, on the driver-side and checking to make sure you are getting 12 volts between the pink and black wires when you turn the key over (You need an assistant because this circuit will only go true for about 2 seconds As Soon As the key is turned to ACC - before cranking). If you are not getting the 12 volts, there could be a bad relay or fuse in the line; so check the inertia switch, pump relay and pump fuse (Refer to the other helpful threads on explorerforum.com). If you ARE getting the 12 volts required, your fuel pump is almost certainly shot..

-I found the "Fuel Pump Repair Kit" on ebay for about $35, including shipping (expedited, and I received it within three days); from what I can tell, it is still an Airtex pump (Advance Auto stocks Airtex) **Update: I am having a "stumbling issue at random times now and I am thinking this fuel pump is the problem, unfortunately. So, I would suggest buying one from the auto parts store or somewhere more reputable**

I have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2 Door 4x4 and I said "Screw it, I really don't feel like dropping the tank!" First off, yes you are somewhat close to the FUEL tank, but you are actually about 2-3 inches above the tank (about an inch from the fuel line in one spot). Soo, you just need a somewhat steady hand and an angle grinder.

1) Grab a 15mm socket and ratchet to take off the three nuts holding the driver side rear seat down.

IMG_0162.jpg

2) Pull back the carpet to reveal a, seemingly useless, plastic support tray. This tray is held in by two phillips head screws and a 10mm bolt (you can squeeze the tray out without having to take off the passenger side seat).

IMG_0163.jpg

3) Now you are ready to make measurements and make your cuts. In the picture, the measurements are linear - taken by holding the ruler straight/level (not contoured to the curves of the floorboard). The measurement from the side of the truck was taken from the wheel well cover and the measurement from the back of the truck was taken by slipping the ruler under the seat back until it stopped and then looking straight down at the ruler.

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

4) Then cover the bottom of the seat with something flame-retardant (I used some stuff called 'cool tape') to prevent a "flare-up". I also used that stupid tray thing with a wet shirt over it to protect the other seat. Then, put on your safety glasses and go to town on those cuts (watch out for sparks).

IMG_0166.jpg

5) You should see the fuel pump now... I decided to quickly file the sharp edges down some so I could prevent any unexpected trips to the ER. Now, just unplug the two plugs for the pump, pop the clip off of the fuel line and take apart the line with a 3/8" tool (Look at second picture); for my truck, this little simple step sounds wayyyyy easier when reading, my line was all ten kinds of seized-up - I used wd-40, PB Blaster and lots of elbow grease. Then, just zip those bolts out with an 8mm socket and remove your fuel pump assembly.

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

6) Because I ordered just a Fuel pump, without the rest of the assembly, I had to take apart the old assembly to install the new pump. This only entails pulling the 8mm bolt that straps on the pump, loosening the hose clamps and unplugging the pump. Now, if you got the same kit as me, you will need to cut the two wires running to the pump with enough slack in them so that you may reconnect the new pump using butt connectors (be mindful of which wire is positive and negative - the pump will tell you, but I believe the 'tan' wire is positive and the black is negative), but make sure the wires are protected from each other so that they will not short together. Now, just replace the hose and clamps with the new ones. You may also use the strainer that came with it, even though it looks different; the strainer may rub the bottom of the tank, but you can still fit the assembly in and bolt it down no problem. The little rubber OEM cover will fit on the new pump but you will have to make a little square cut-out for it.

IMG_0172.jpg

7) Just drop the assembly in and button everything up in reverse order. You will also need to find a piece of metal or something a little bigger than the size of the hole so that you can cover the access hole and screw it down to keep out noise, weather, and debris - I actually just used a piece of a ABS plastic mud flap, six self-tapping screws, and sealant. That is pretty much it! I would recommend changing the fuel filter but I guess it is not completely necessary.

IMG_0175.jpg

Hope this could help!

After all of the help I have received through these forums, I wanted to pay a little back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm sure some people will really appreciate this. But the pics aren't working. You need to upload them to a free hosting site such as photo bucket, and then copy the "image code" and paste into the message.
You can't upload pictures onto the forum straight from your computer unless your an elite member

pics look fine to me. nice job.

I uploaded through photobucket; I could upload using a different image code though, if some can't view them.

Thanks, this is very helpful and very well done!

OEM Fuel Pump assemply or Aftermarket ok?

Just wondering which aftermarket brands are reputable?
The dealer wants over $500 dollars for the fuel pump assembly and that is out of my budget.

I have seen aftermarket ones for between $100-150.
I just want to stay away from a junk brands.

Thanks

Denso pumps are about the best you can get at most parts stores. Try to stay away from Airtex, they don't last.

Simpler to drop the tank.

That said, changing the fuel filter is a must-do, as well as changing the "sock" on the pickup. There's a reason most co's won't honor a pump warranty unless you show you also replaced those two items as well.

Bill

get out the can opener

Would those measurement be the same or relatively close on a 2000 5.0 4 door? Thanks I'll be opening it up tonight or tommorow.

Thanks

Thanks, ExploredOnce, for the instructions and pics. I will do this because I am dismantling the (5.0) Exp later. Back seats and carpet are already removed. I need to get the thing pumping to check total performance out before putting the Exp drive train into modified '55 F-100.

I understand (and sincerely respect) the opinion of those who want their floors pristine, but when the pump quit in my '95 Bronco for the second time (the fuel tank was full), I made an access hole in the floor and in the floor of my like-new '90 at the same time. I had a spare Bronco to cut oversized patch panels from. They were painted and cover the holes, looking like 'factory'. Now, if I have a failure on a trip, even, I can replace the pump in 30 minutes max without draining the tank and with a minimum of tools (which would be on the trip with me).

I appreciate all who post on this site. I have learned lots from you. Thanks.

I am making this post because going into doing my fuel pump installation, I could not find a thread on how to successfully cut an access panel for the fuel pump in a 2 DOOR explorer.

So, I will try to keep this as short and simple as possible because I know whoever needs this thread as a template is probably tired of searching and just ready to get it done.

First off, check to make sure you are getting power back to the pump by unplugging the main plug, under the truck, in front of the rear axle, on the driver-side and checking to make sure you are getting 12 volts between the pink and black wires when you turn the key over (You need an assistant because this circuit will only go true for about 2 seconds As Soon As the key is turned to ACC - before cranking). If you are not getting the 12 volts, there could be a bad relay or fuse in the line; so check the inertia switch, pump relay and pump fuse (Refer to the other helpful threads on explorerforum.com). If you ARE getting the 12 volts required, your fuel pump is almost certainly shot..

-I found the "Fuel Pump Repair Kit" on ebay for about $35, including shipping (expedited, and I received it within three days); from what I can tell, it is still an Airtex pump (Advance Auto stocks Airtex) **Update: I am having a "stumbling issue at random times now and I am thinking this fuel pump is the problem, unfortunately. So, I would suggest buying one from the auto parts store or somewhere more reputable**

I have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2 Door 4x4 and I said "Screw it, I really don't feel like dropping the tank!" First off, yes you are somewhat close to the FUEL tank, but you are actually about 2-3 inches above the tank (about an inch from the fuel line in one spot). Soo, you just need a somewhat steady hand and an angle grinder.

1) Grab a 15mm socket and ratchet to take off the three nuts holding the driver side rear seat down.

View attachment 276953

2) Pull back the carpet to reveal a, seemingly useless, plastic support tray. This tray is held in by two phillips head screws and a 10mm bolt (you can squeeze the tray out without having to take off the passenger side seat).

View attachment 276954

3) Now you are ready to make measurements and make your cuts. In the picture, the measurements are linear - taken by holding the ruler straight/level (not contoured to the curves of the floorboard). The measurement from the side of the truck was taken from the wheel well cover and the measurement from the back of the truck was taken by slipping the ruler under the seat back until it stopped and then looking straight down at the ruler.

View attachment 276955
View attachment 276956

4) Then cover the bottom of the seat with something flame-retardant (I used some stuff called 'cool tape') to prevent a "flare-up". I also used that stupid tray thing with a wet shirt over it to protect the other seat. Then, put on your safety glasses and go to town on those cuts (watch out for sparks).

View attachment 276957

5) You should see the fuel pump now... I decided to quickly file the sharp edges down some so I could prevent any unexpected trips to the ER. Now, just unplug the two plugs for the pump, pop the clip off of the fuel line and take apart the line with a 3/8" tool (Look at second picture); for my truck, this little simple step sounds wayyyyy easier when reading, my line was all ten kinds of seized-up - I used wd-40, PB Blaster and lots of elbow grease. Then, just zip those bolts out with an 8mm socket and remove your fuel pump assembly.

View attachment 276958
View attachment 276959

6) Because I ordered just a Fuel pump, without the rest of the assembly, I had to take apart the old assembly to install the new pump. This only entails pulling the 8mm bolt that straps on the pump, loosening the hose clamps and unplugging the pump. Now, if you got the same kit as me, you will need to cut the two wires running to the pump with enough slack in them so that you may reconnect the new pump using butt connectors (be mindful of which wire is positive and negative - the pump will tell you, but I believe the 'tan' wire is positive and the black is negative), but make sure the wires are protected from each other so that they will not short together. Now, just replace the hose and clamps with the new ones. You may also use the strainer that came with it, even though it looks different; the strainer may rub the bottom of the tank, but you can still fit the assembly in and bolt it down no problem. The little rubber OEM cover will fit on the new pump but you will have to make a little square cut-out for it.

View attachment 276960

7) Just drop the assembly in and button everything up in reverse order. You will also need to find a piece of metal or something a little bigger than the size of the hole so that you can cover the access hole and screw it down to keep out noise, weather, and debris - I actually just used a piece of a ABS plastic mud flap, six self-tapping screws, and sealant. That is pretty much it! I would recommend changing the fuel filter but I guess it is not completely necessary.

View attachment 276961

Hope this could help!

After all of the help I have received through these forums, I wanted to pay a little back.
Great post TY very much

View attachment 276954
Hey fellow 2 door owners, who all has one of these support trays? I recently pulled the carpet in my 2000 Sport and it did not have this tray underneath. I noticed the carpet was molded as if it were supposed to sit on top of something and I'm wondering if a previous owner discarded my tray. Or maybe it's just a 2.5 gen thing? I see the OP had an '01.

Hey fellow 2 door owners, who all has one of these support trays? I recently pulled the carpet in my 2000 Sport and it did not have this tray underneath. I noticed the carpet was molded as if it were supposed to sit on top of something and I'm wondering if a previous owner discarded my tray. Or maybe it's just a 2.5 gen thing? I see the OP had an '01.
No tray like that on mine either.

Worked on this project a little more. The floor board in that area is .030 thick, 22 GA. Like peanut butter to cut with the muffler gun. So thin it folded up on me a couple of times. Location dimensions were Excellent. Thanx again "Explored Once" Looking at the connections to the tank.. Green unit is a vapor recovery ? Plate with screws and wiring is fuel pump and sending unit access.. What is the other electrical connector for ? I soaked the screws down with PB blaster, going to let it set a couple of days. Still need to do the power test to make sure the pump is getting power sent when the ignition is cycled on. Last question for today.. What service manual are any of you using ? I have SM for my Honda, Harley, generator, lawn tractor, power washer, string mower etc,.. This Ford is the only thing I don't have a manual for.

IMG_20221202_143946217.jpg IMG_20221202_143922112.jpg

Ford is the only thing I don't have a manual for.
Ford service manual CD
factory service manual you can find it on ebay cheap

Something like this

I'm sure some people will really appreciate this. But the pics aren't working. You need to upload them to a free hosting site such as photo bucket, and then copy the "image code" and paste into the message.
You can't upload pictures onto the forum straight from your computer unless your an elite member
sucky method of uploading pictures - straight from the 2000 year
this forum is totally outdated

Ford service manual CD
factory service manual you can find it on ebay cheap

Something like this
TY I'll look into getting one.

sucky method of uploading pictures - straight from the 2000 year
this forum is totally outdated
Only if you’re too cheap to support the site.

Nothing ever goes without a glitch.. It appears that the safety clip rusted to pieces and some how part of it is inside the coupler where the release tool has to go. I've been soaking things with PB Blaster for a few days now. Tried to use a small pick to remove the debris but it seems rusted solid. I tried holding the coupler with channel locks to see if it would rotate in either direction. NO go.

Any suggestions ? anyone run into this before ?

IMG_20221204_102235980.jpg IMG_20221204_102207963.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Worked on this project a little more. The floor board in that area is .030 thick, 22 GA. Like peanut butter to cut with the muffler gun. So thin it folded up on me a couple of times. Location dimensions were Excellent. Thanx again "Explored Once" Looking at the connections to the tank.. Green unit is a vapor recovery ? Plate with screws and wiring is fuel pump and sending unit access.. What is the other electrical connector for ? I soaked the screws down with PB blaster, going to let it set a couple of days. Still need to do the power test to make sure the pump is getting power sent when the ignition is cycled on. Last question for today.. What service manual are any of you using ? I have SM for my Honda, Harley, generator, lawn tractor, power washer, string mower etc,.. This Ford is the only thing I don't have a manual for.

View attachment 436844 View attachment 436845
1. That must be pressure switch for the EVAP system. the green valve is a vent for the EVAP system( turn it counter clock wise to unlock and remove while pushing down on it.
2. I had the same problem with the pump bolts. One bolt I could not remove, so I cut it off. If you cut a small piece off of the bolt head, you use a punch to turn it. The bolt are sealed to the surface, once you break that bond, you got it. I was able purchased similar bolt on line, no washer. When you add the washer, it come out to be the same length.
3. I uses the FSM for my car. Look in your owners manual that came with your car, at the back of the manual, it lists all the manual that re available for your car.

IMG_20221204_115332.jpg IMG_20221204_115815.jpg

Back