• Register Today It's free!

2" Drop: Quick Question

dazsherm

Reaction score
City, State
clinton, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
ok....i only want to drop my X about 2"-3".... i want to come out as cheap as i can. so let me get this straight.... all i have to do is remove the adjuster bolts from the t-bars? (my dad is gonna do it) and put lowering blocks in the rear? that seems pretty simple and cheap. will removing these bolts have any potential driving hazard, perhaps at high speeds? would it be safer to buy coil springs instead? any input is appreciated.... i am just tryin to sum up the "going for the gusto...." thread.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you cant buy coil springs because your X doesnt have any. the only way to lower the front of your ride is with airbags (nice, but really expensive and really custom) or the torsion twist method. make sure he measures to get the right amount of drop instead of just removing the bolts. and yea, blocks in the rear. you will also HAVE to get the frontend aligned, it will wear the insides of the tires out in no time. so, it will cost you an alignment plus the cost of an alignment eccentric kit (the shop will have this so dont bother ordering one.) as far as making it safer, i dont know. it definatly wont make it more dangerous; it actually makes it handle better. just makes it ride rougher. if youve got stock shocks, replace them as soon as you can.

TarHeel085:

why do you recommend not completely removing the bolts?

well, it really wont hurt anything... its just the idea of taking the bolts out without any idea of how much its gonna drop it. take the bolts out of yours you get 2". take 'em out of mine and i get 2 1/2". it varys from vehicle to vehicle. its better to measure as you go along. you can also compensate for a slight lean if you measure.

ok, thanks. i didn't think there was anything wrong with taking them out, just thought maybe i wasn't considering something.

my adjuster bolts have to be all the way out for my EX to sit level. when i took measurements before i started, the rear was sagging 11/16". moving all 4 spacers in the rear was going to drop it 1 and 1/2", for a total difference from the front of 2 and 3/16". so, i started by completely removing the bolts and surprisingly got a matching 2 and 3/16" drop in the front.

I completely removed the bolts on my '01. The front sat higher than the back in stock position. Removing the bolts has now brought the front and back level with each other. I dropped almost 2 1/2" in the front and used 2" blocks in the rear.

You can drop up to 3" in the front and still get a proper alignment using shims. Any good alignment shop can do this for you.

im not too keen on mechanics..... but how much does an alignment usual cost? im tryin to do this cheaply, lol

because you will need shims or eccentrics to get the camber setting correct, the price may vary greatly between shops.

if you're looking to do it as cheap as possible, just call every shop in town for a quote.

don't overlook the independent shops!

NaplesBill

You can drop up to 3" in the front and still get a proper alignment using shims. Any good alignment shop can do this for you.

Where are you putting the shims to be able to adjust the caster/camber more???

Back