2 Explorers in a year

Reprise

Reaction score
City, State
Northern IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 4.0L
Greetings, all...

My Explorer story started about a year ago.

I was looking for something to haul around my band equipment in, and wanting to get a vehicle with a low entry cost (I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty!), and fairly reliable. Wound up with a 1-owner '99 XLT 4.0L 4WD with 206K on the clock - but everything worked, and it ran well, for the mileage, although rust is starting to take it's toll around the step bar, the rocker panels and quarter panels. Got a nice deal on that one, and after a few trips in it, decided I was going to get another Explorer. (I still have the '99; it's got about 213 on it now). In the meantime, I fixed some small things like the rear washer relay (thanks to this site!) and put a bluetooth-capable radio in (we went hands-free in IL last January). It burns NO oil (although it has a small leak from the rear main seal). It needs the upper intake manifold gasket now (classic symptoms like hard starting in cold weather this winter, throwing the lean bank codes, running a bit rough, etc); not sure whether to tackle that, or just see if I can recoup most of the little I paid for her - because...

Saw another rust-free 2nd-gen Explorer (another '99!) for a good price and went to check it out at the dealer. Wound up being sold, but "we took an '02 in on trade yesterday...we'll sell it for the same price". I didn't know then, but I should've run once I heard the year, right?

Unfortunately, I hadn't read the 3rd-gen pages, but I figured... "gee, if my '99 runs so well, and this one's 3 years' newer...."

Little did I know I was about to jump from one of the 'best' 2nd-gen years into the worst 3rd-gen year (or any-gen, apparently!). I must like a challenge, because not only is it an '02, it's an 'early build' 2002 (build date 3/01, just before the changeover to the 'late build' -so I've got a GEM, and all that that implies). It's got the same 4.0L engine (no timing chain issues in either one, btw!), the 5-speed auto from hell (looks to be a reman unit, from what I saw underneath), and the 4D axle (3.73) w/ factory HD (?) towing package.

Anyway, I got the dealer to repair the odometer (it had 171K on it), a rear taillight that was cracked, and a couple of other things. Took the dealer (a non-Ford) dealer a full month to get the dashboard fixed - they had their Ford affiliate contract with a repair facility in Cali - had to put a new circuit board in, I'm told (although I did tell them to check the cold solder joints, just as people had posted here). I had put new front brakes / rotors on her before taking it in for the 'we owe' stuff to be done.

Anyway, this one looks like she's going to be the opposite of my '99 - a great looker, but needing some (regular) mechanicals. I've got a dash full of 'door ajar', air bag (code 33, so I know how to fix that), ABS lights, and a SES light that gives me the code for another part that looks like I may / may not have to replace it soon (I forget the name, but apparently Ford and Nissan use them a lot). Oh, and it's 171 degrees F outside. Who knew? :D But she does run pretty sound, and drives nicely (4-wheel independent suspension makes a world of difference from that fixed-beam axle on the 2nd-gen!)

On the way home from the stealership w/ my new (or at least new PCB-equipped) instrument cluster on Saturday, I rolled down the windows to cool her off for a couple of minutes before rolling them up to let the A/C do it's work. Noticed after I rolled them up that it still sounded too loud in the cabin...was a door (really) ajar? Nope - the driver's rear window regulator had given up the ghost. Figured I'd be driving with plastic over the window, etc. - but a quick check here turned up the regulator thread, and I'm happy to say that I got that done this weekend (yes, I had the rivet for the arm mechanism that slides in the plastic tab (and the replacement had a new arm in with provision for a bolt) - so I drilled out the rivet and put a proper bolt in (the plastic piece didn't look like it would accommodate both arms, and the 'new' arm was fastened in tight - figured I'd take advantage of 'improved design'.)

So...with that repair out of the way, I figured I'd come back here to express my thanks for all of my fellow Explorer brothers / sisters who learned all of these things the hard way - and to go Elite - the least I could do for the moderator, who keeps this site running for all of us.

PS: I've already ordered / received my column shift lever replacement, and was thinking as I write this - why wait for it to break at an inopportune time. May as well make some time to replace it!

If anyone's looking for a good running '99 XLT 4.0L 4WD (or maybe a very nice looking '02 XLT 4.0L 4WD - it might be better for me to keep the 2nd-gen!), give me a shout. I'd rather see them go to somewhere where they'll be loved.

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

Thanks for going Elite right out of the gate!!

Since you are Elite, you can post in the for sale section: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=94

Depending on which Ex you keep:

Be sure to check out the 2nd Generation Sub-Forums:

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers
Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Modified 1995-2001 Explorers
Questions related to modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and 2002+ Sports (2dr). Aftermarket accessories and modifications. Bullbar, running boards, floor mats, cargo mat, DVD headrest, wheels, tires, stereo upgrade, headlights, mud flaps, torsion twist, lift kits, engine swap, transmission swap.

-----------------

Be sure to check out the 3rd Generation Sub-Forums:

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

Modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Questions related to modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. For Sport Trac and Sport models use the 1995-2001 forum. Aftermarket accessories and modifications. Bullbar, running boards, floor mats, cargo mat, DVD headrest, wheels, tires, stereo upgrade, headlights, mud flaps, lift kits, engine swap, transmission swap.

Good luck and Happy Exploring!

Back